Mumbai’s mango festival attracts hordes of visitorsApril 12th, 2008 - 4:18 pm ICT by admin
By Anand Shrivastav
Mumbai, Apr 12 (ANI): A seven-day mango festival in Mumbai is attracting hordes of visitors.
“This is an opportunity for mango growers to sell their produce directly. We get the right products at the right price, since no middle men are involved,” said Prashant, a visitor.
The fair is also providing a platform for orchard owners to reach out to prospective buyers.
“Even when prices rise, one will not stop eating. Similarly, despite their high prices, Konkan mangoes are sold all over the country and also exported abroad. The festival is very important to increase the popularity of the fruit,” said Manohar Joshi, former speaker of the Lok Sabha, who inaugurated the festival on Friday.
About 1,000 varieties of mangoes are grown in the country, in an area of 2.5 million hectares.
Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Orissa, Assam, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu are the major mango-growing states in the country.
India is the world’s biggest producer of this tropical fruit contributing 59 per cent of total production, but its share in the world mango market is less than 15 per cent.
India exports about 30,000 tonnes of mangoes every year to nearly 40 countries including Britain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Canada. Now, the Untied States. Mangoes account for around 39 per cent of the total fruit exports from India. (ANI)
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- Mango exports from Pakistan goes down - May 26, 2012
- Royal treat for mango lovers at Delhi fest - Jul 02, 2011
- Hordes of visitors throng mango festival in Delhi - Jul 05, 2008
- Mango madness: Bhopal fetes king of fruit - Jun 30, 2011
- Mango festival organised in Karachi - Jun 13, 2010
- Proposed road endangers Uttar Pradesh mango belt - Sep 26, 2010
- Mango festival in Haryana's Pinjore gardens - Jun 23, 2011
- Fickle weather can take juice out of litchi this season - Apr 29, 2012
- Delhis popular Mango festival had 500 varieties at display - Jul 07, 2008
- 300 varieties of mango grows on a single tree in Malihabad - May 30, 2008
- Humble kokum is highlight of Konkan fruit fest - May 11, 2012
- Scant rainfall hits export of mango pulp in Tamil Nadu - May 18, 2010
- Mango Festival begins in Delhi - Jul 02, 2011
- Cheers for cherry lovers with bountiful Himachal crop - May 27, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, assam, country india, fruit exports, hordes, india exports, Lok Sabha, maharashtra, mango festival, mango growers, manohar joshi, middle men, mumbai, orissa, prospective buyers, saudi arabia, seven day, tamil nadu, tropical fruit, varieties of mangoes