Mumbai Marathon begins amid tight securityJanuary 16th, 2011 - 11:18 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 16 (IANS) Over 38,000 people early Sunday gathered at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus here to participate in the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon 2011 as Maharashtra Governor K. Sankaranarayanan flagged it off amid tight security.Star participants like model-actor Milind Soman who runs the full marathon each year and business tycoon Anil Ambani who participated in the half marathon this year were seen in full energy as they started off the coveted run for the eighth edition of the marathon.
“It gives me great pleasure to participate in the Mumbai marathon every year,” Soman said before he began his run.
An elated brand ambassador of the marathon for five years now, Bollywood actor John Abraham said he was here to fulfil all his responsibilities.
Also participating in the run this year is Siddharth Mallya, socialite and son of businessman Vijay Mallya.
“I am participating in the Mumbai Marathon for the first time and I am excited about it,” he said.
Several international participants, including Catherine Freeman who is also the event ambassador for the marathon, participated in this year’s run.
The Bandra-Worli Sea Link proved to be a major attraction for most runners.
Keeping the security aspect in mind, around 700 policemen and policewomen have been deployed across the 42-km-long route.
Around 150 doctors with their 120 assistants, two helicopters and eight ambulances have been arranged for any untoward incidents or emergencies.
- Ninth edition of Mumbai marathon kicks off - Jan 15, 2012
- Marathon lends colour, star power to Mumbai streets (Third Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Mumbai readies to kick off Marathon-2012 Sunday - Jan 14, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon: A carnival on the streets of Bollywood country (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Ethiopian Assefa wins Mumbai full marathon - Jan 16, 2011
- Kenyan athlete Dennis Ndisso wins Mumbai marathon (Lead) - Jan 17, 2010
- Ethiopians rule at Mumbai marathon (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Milind Soman sets off on 1,500-km Greenathon - Apr 20, 2012
- Over 38,000 to run in bigger, better Mumbai Marathon - Jan 15, 2011
- Star-studded marathon begins in Mumbai - Jan 17, 2010
- Milind Soman to run 550 km for a cause - May 20, 2011
- 'Mumbai mega infra-projects to be completed by 2013' - Mar 07, 2012
- Kenyan wins Mumbai Marathon - Jan 17, 2010
- 'Rush' - Bejoy Nambiar's big dream for small screen - Jul 11, 2012
- Celebs cheer wheelchair, senior citizens' marathon - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: actor john abraham, ambani, ambulances, bandra worli sea link, bollywood actor john abraham, business tycoon, catherine freeman, chhatrapati shivaji terminus, eighth edition, full energy, half marathon, international participants, john abraham, milind soman, policewomen, sankaranarayanan, security aspect, socialite, tight security, vijay mallya