Mumbai businessman offers silver throne for Shirdi Saibaba (With Image)March 23rd, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Shirdi (Maharashtra), March 23 (IANS) On the occasion of Gudi Padva, the Maharashtrian New Year, a Mumbai businessman offered a donation of a 40-kg silver throne for Saibaba here Friday.
According to a spokesperson for the Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust, the estimated value of the throne, donated by Kiran Mehta, is around Rs.2.20 million.
“Since we were tied up with the arrangements for the 3-day Saibaba Festival which started today (Friday), our temple goldsmith could not certify whether it is pure silver or any other metal like copper is also mixed. We shall do it later,” the temple spokesperson told IANS.
A few months ago, the businessman had expressed a desire to donate the throne and he was permitted to do so by the temple authorities.
The throne will be kept in Babaki Chavri, which is adjacent to the world famous Saibaba Temple in Shirdi, around 250 km from Mumbai.
In December 2007, a Hyderabad builder donated a gleaming 95 kg gold throne worth nearly Rs.95 million (Rs.9.50 crore) on which the main statue of Saibaba now rests.
Recently, the Bombay High Court’s Aurangabad Bench had sacked the governing board of SSST and ordered the Maharashtra government to announce the new trustees within a fortnight for the temple, among the top five richest temple trusts in India.
- Saibaba Temple gets diamonds worth Rs.1.18 crore - Aug 01, 2012
- Shutdown in Shirdi, villagers go on hunger strike - Apr 20, 2011
- Court sacks 18 Saibaba temple trustees (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Court stays new Shirdi temple board of trustees - Mar 30, 2012
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 28, 2012
- Shirdi temple gets new trustees (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Saibaba's sandals will not be taken to Britain - Aug 23, 2010
- Travelator to make Shirdi Sai Baba temple visit hassle-free - Nov 09, 2011
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed - Mar 28, 2012
- Court sacks 18 Saibaba temple trustees - Mar 13, 2012
- Replica of Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Mumbai - Dec 14, 2011
- Shirdi temple trust to honour Tendulkar - Apr 04, 2011
- Shirdi's Sai Baba temple goes green with solar steam cooking system - Oct 20, 2010
- Happy Gudi Padwa, tweets Bollywood - Apr 04, 2011
- Shirdi trust moots action against 'duplicate' Sai temples - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: aurangabad, bench, bombay high court, businessman, copper, crore, fortnight, goldsmith, governing board, gudi padva, hyderabad, kiran, maharashtra government, mehta, rs 2, shri saibaba sansthan, silver throne, spokesperson, ssst, temple authorities