Muhammad Ali voted Greatest Sportsman EverAugust 20th, 2008 - 3:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 20 (ANI): Retired American boxing legend Muhammad Ali has been voted as The Greatest Sportsman Ever.
The polling was carried out by Internet market research company www.onepoll.com on August 19.
Ali is a worthy winner. He is a true legend, loved by everyone who knows anything about sport, the Daily Star quoted John Sewell, from the company, as saying.
His charm, wit and sheer talent wowed sports fans for years, Sewell added.
The 66-year-old boxing champ had won the Olympic gold in 1960 and taken the world heavyweight title in 1964.
Ali, who had been named Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr on his birth, is a three times world champion boxer, who beat Olympic rowing gold medallist Sir Steve Redgrave to claim the title in a poll of sports fans.
Redgrave, 46, is the only British rower to win gold medals at five consecutive Olympic Games from 1984 to 2000.
England and LA Galaxy star David Beckham, 33, was third, followed by Brazil legend Pele, 67, in fourth and former F1 ace Michael Schumacher, 39, in fifth.
The top five Greatest Sportsman Ever are:
1 Muhammad Ali
2 Steve Redgrave
3 David Beckham
5 Michael Schumacher(ANI)
- Steve Redgrave is public's choice to light Olympic cauldron - Jul 22, 2012
- Muhammad Ali celebrates birthday in Las Vegas - Feb 20, 2012
- Cuban boxing great Teofilo Stevenson dies - Jun 12, 2012
- Abhishek Bachchan a Muhammad Ali fan - Jan 17, 2012
- British boxing legend Sir Cooper dies at 76 - May 02, 2011
- I won't be doing London Olympics: Ringo Starr - Jul 25, 2011
- Coe backs Thompson to light the Olympic flame - Jul 15, 2011
- Muhammad Ali laments 'old friend' Sir Henry Cooper's demise - May 03, 2011
- 'Smokin' Joe Frazier loses his battle against cancer - Nov 08, 2011
- Ali's cornerman Dundee passes away at 90 - Feb 02, 2012
- Muhammad Ali beats Bradman to title of greatest sportsman - Aug 19, 2009
- Cuban boxing legend's home to become museum - Jul 13, 2012
- Beatles, Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols to perform together at London Olympics? - Apr 25, 2011
- Muhammad Ali wants Iran to release the hikers - May 25, 2011
- Djokovic, Cheruiyot, Barcelona win Laureus Awards - Feb 07, 2012