Much to cheer this women’s day in DelhiMarch 8th, 2010 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 8 (IANS) Women in the national capital had lots to look forward to this International Women’s Day. Not only were they cheering the government’s efforts to clear the Women’s Reservation Bill in the Rajya Sabha, free makeovers, complimentary movie tickets and shopping discounts were also lined up to make their day.
Homemakers, students, professionals and social activists — many women were keeping their fingers crossed and hoping that the Women’s Reservation Bill, which seeks to reserve 33 percent of seats in legislatures for women, gets passed in Rajya Sabha Monday.
“I am quite sure the women’s reservation bill will be passed this time. The kind of support the bill has garnered is good and for a change political parties have left behind their differences to stand united on this subject,” said Arusha Verma, a school teacher.
Rachna, a sociology student in Delhi University, said: “If this bill is cleared after all these years, it will be a true celebration of women’s day.”
Ranjana Kumari, chairperson of the Centre for Social Research, which started a signature campaign in support of the bill, was also upbeat.
“It is thanks to the efforts of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and President Pratibha Patil as well as political leaders that the bill will be cleared. The women’s movement is undeniably strong now.”
Ranjana Kumari said this year’s Women’s Day will be all the more special once the bill is cleared in Rajya Sabha.
Various popular hangouts and shopping malls have targeted women customers with heavy discounts and offers on International Women’s Day.
While Shoppers Stop offered free makeovers and skincare sessions at malls such as Select Citywalk and Ansal Plaza, other retailers are offering huge discounts on jewellery and at restaurants to woo women Monday.
“I was so excited when I saw heavy discounts at the Select Citywalk mall in Saket for women. I decided to splurge and bought myself two pairs of shoes, but on a 50 percent discount of course,” said Manisha, a banking executive.
At restaurant Tabula Rasa, a complimentary glass of wine and a discount of 25 percent can be availed, while F Bar & Lounge will give free entry to women and their spouses.
What’s more…free movies tickets are up for grabs for women at BIG Cinemas. Movies on offer include “Road Movie”, “Teen Patti”, “Karthik Calling Karthik”, “Atithi Tum Kab Jaaoge?”, “My Name Is Khan”, “Thanks Maa” and “Legion”.
The “Stree 2010″ art exhibition also began Monday where works by nearly 250 women artists from around the country were displayed at the Art Mall in southwest Delhi’s Najafgarh area.
The Delegation of European Union in India in collaboration with the NGO Save the Children has organised a massive “gender drawing competition” for school children.
“The main objective of the competition is to call on children between the ages of 8-10 years to express their vision on gender equality. European School in Brussels will select the best 14 drawings, which will also be published in a booklet that will be widely distributed by the European Union,” said Vinod Janardhanan, an information officer.
Popular social networking site Ibibo.com is also celebrating womanhood by dedicating an entire web page, which allows users to send gifts, e-cards and dedicate songs to special women in their lives.
- Parliament reluctant to pass women's bill: Book - Feb 25, 2011
- Women reservation bill won't be passed soon: Kiran Bedi - Mar 09, 2011
- 35 NGOs come together to push for women's bill - May 01, 2010
- 'One hurdle down, many more ahead for women's bill' - Mar 10, 2010
- Hopes run high with women's reservation bill - Mar 07, 2010
- For women, where there's a bill, there's a way - Mar 14, 2010
- More women in parliament will change face of Indian politics (Comment) - Mar 13, 2010
- Rally for women's quota bill Thursday - Jul 27, 2010
- Women's groups demand passing of quota bill - Jul 29, 2010
- Mindset against women has to change: Women MPs (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2011
- Rs.4.75 lakh course for aspiring women politicians - Apr 10, 2012
- Right's panel upbeat about women's reservation bill - Mar 06, 2010
- Replacing rape with sexual assault: activists welcome move (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Crime against women rise in northeast - Feb 14, 2012
- A letter everyday to president on women's bill - Oct 14, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,