Mount Everest ice collapse stops climbersApril 24th, 2009 - 1:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 24 (ANI): An ice collapse near the base of Mount Everest has blocked the route of scores of climbers hoping to scale the world’s highest peak.
According to a report in The Daily Telegraph, no one was reported injured in the ice collapse, but the route has been blocked for a few days, Ang Tshering of the Nepal Mountaineering Association, told The Daily Telegraph.
The section of the route called the Khumbu Icefall just above the base camp is one of the riskiest areas on the way to Everest’s summit.
The ice collapse destroyed the path set by climbers and their Sherpa guides using aluminium ladders and ropes to move over the crevasses and shaky ice chunks.
Tshering said that it was lucky that no one was hurt since hundreds of climbers and their porters pass through the route at this time of year carrying equipment and supplies from the base camp to camps set up along the side of the mountain.
The spring climbing season is the most popular time to scale mountains in Nepal.
Weather conditions generally remain calm for several days in May, giving climbers a window to hastily make their way to the summits and then retreat to safer altitudes.
A total of 65 teams have been given permission by Nepal’s government to climb various mountains during the season.
Of them, 25 teams are attempting Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak at 29,035 feet (8,850 meters). (ANI)
- Indian Army women's team to again attempt Mt. Everest (Lead, superseding prervious story) - Mar 12, 2012
- (VM) Indian Army women's team to scale Mount Everest - Mar 12, 2012
- Young girl from Arunachal to lead international expedition to Mt. Everest - Apr 18, 2011
- IAF team to scale Mount Everest - Apr 13, 2011
- 13-year-old American boy becomes youngest person to scale Mount Everest - May 22, 2010
- President flags-in Indian Army's Everest team - Jul 03, 2012
- 73-year-old woman climbs Mount Everest - May 19, 2012
- Japanese lady, 73, awarded for scaling Mt. Everest - May 26, 2012
- Nepal's Mobile Company Ncell Assures 3G Network On Mount Everest! - Nov 01, 2010
- 'Super Sherpa' hangs up Everest boots after 21st summit - May 27, 2011
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- California Teen Successfully Climbs Mount Everest - May 24, 2010
- Everest superstar eyes 20th summit - Mar 12, 2010
- Nepal quake fails to jolt India's youngest Everest hero - Sep 21, 2011
- Bravehearts write new records on Mt Everest - May 07, 2011
Tags: aluminium ladders, april 24, carrying equipment, climbers, collapse, crevasses, daily telegraph, few days, ice chunks, khumbu icefall, mount everest, nepal mountaineering association, porters, ropes, scale mountains, sherpa guides, summit, summits, time of year, weather conditions