Motorists in London to pay ‘green’ charge for parkingOctober 1st, 2009 - 3:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, October 1 (ANI): Reports indicate that a local authority in London has become the first in the world to charge motorists for parking on the basis of how “green” their vehicle is.
According to a report by Sky News, Richmond upon Thames is to charge drivers varying prices based on the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of their vehicle of choice.
Those who drive gas-guzzlers will pay 25 percent above the standard rate, while those who drive eco-friendly cars will pay 25 percent less than the standard rate.
The aim, according to the LibDem-controlled council, is to encourage motorists to use greener vehicles and therefore help local and national government to meet their targets for emissions.
The council has officially said it wants to make some 556,000 pounds in extra revenue and we see this latest move as purely punitive - an easy way to get extra income.
“Global warming is one of the greatest challenges of our lifetime and many people simply don’t realise the influence on the planet that their choice of vehicle makes,” said councillor David Trigg.
“Providing clear signals, through situations which people encounter on a daily basis, is the very best way to spread this message,” he added. (ANI)
- Envoy defends German cars against Jairam Ramesh's attack - Nov 13, 2010
- Britain council gifts iPads to staff - Jan 07, 2011
- David Laws resigns over expenses claim - May 30, 2010
- Lib Dems may lose half of their voters in next election: Poll - Dec 12, 2010
- Labour's duo rated Britain's sexiest MPs - Sep 19, 2011
- Lib Dem support sinks to lowest level since origin: Poll - Jan 05, 2011
- Hybrid and natural gas-fuelled cars greener than those running on gasoline - Sep 15, 2010
- British NRIs expect immigration cuts, pro-rich policies (Comment) - May 15, 2010
- Drunk drivers in Maharashtra could lose licence forever - Jan 15, 2011
- Brown hints election defeat on his mind - May 04, 2010
- Transportation experts support congestion tax on cars - Jun 10, 2010
- Britain introduces 40 bn pound austerity measures - Jun 22, 2010
- British MP's wife faces trial over cat theft - Oct 21, 2010
- UK cafe owner wins extractor fan appeal over claims frying bacon offended Muslims - Mar 31, 2011
- Britain braces for a white Christmas - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: aim, carbon dioxide, challenges, daily basis, eco friendly cars, emissions, extra income, gas guzzlers, global warming, lifetime, local authority, london, motorists, national government, richmond, richmond upon thames, signals, sky news, targets