Most UAE students start smoking before 14February 3rd, 2011 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Feb 3 (IANS) More than 80 percent of students in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) start smoking when they are as young as 14 years, a survey has found.Tobacco use among teenagers remains a concern for health authorities as new data shows a quantum leap in the number of student smokers in the past five years, Khaleej Times reported citing a global survey.
The study was conducted last year by the health ministry’s Global School-based Student Health Survey (GSHS) in coordination with US Centres for Diseases Control (CDC) and the World Health Organisation.
The survey of 2,581 people showed that 82.1 percent of students (both male and female) in the country have tried their first cigarette before the age of 14 as compared to 39 percent (surveyed in 2005) who tried their first cigarette at the age of 13 or less.
Male students were more likely to start smoking at an early age at 83.7 percent (39.2 percent in 2005) as compared to female students whose numbers stood at 79.4 percent, still a significant increase from the earlier 36.7 percent.
The study also measured dietary behaviour, hygiene, mental health, physical activity, protective factors, violence and unintentional injury of students in grades 8, 9, and 10.
A similar survey conducted by the Dubai Health Authority in private schools showed that 71 percent of the students were cigarette smokers.
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- WHO asks Russia to ensure scary pictures on cigarette packs - Feb 17, 2011
- Like India, Russia to scare smokers with grim pictures - May 11, 2012
- Smoking, chronic pain linked in women - Sep 29, 2011
- Hookah use common among college students - Apr 06, 2011
- Lifting weights can help smokers kick habit - Aug 10, 2011
- Passive smoking worsens asthmic children's health - May 02, 2012
- No smoking: Gory pictures pull in, shock trade fair visitors - Nov 18, 2010
- 'US college women gravitate towards hookah' - Jul 19, 2012
- Malaysian Indians least likely to kick the butt: Study - Feb 06, 2011
- How cigarette smoke affects smokers - Apr 07, 2011
- e-cigarettes damaging lungs? - Sep 03, 2012
- Cigarette smoking may increase risk of muscle-wasting disease - Feb 15, 2011
- Beware! Passive smoking riskier than you think (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Second-hand cigarette smoke associated with raised blood pressure in boys - May 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,