More than 4,000 prehistoric artifacts of stone and bone discovered in VietnamMarch 16th, 2009 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI
Hanoi (Vietnam), March 16 (ANI): Archaeologists have found more than 4,000 ancient artifacts of stone and bone in an archaeological site in Vietnam.
The treasure trove of artifacts was discovered at the Xom Trai archaeological site in Tan Lap commune, Lac Son district in northern Hoa Binh province, by archaeologists from the Hoa Binh Museum and the Southeast Asia Prehisory Centre.
According to VOV News, scientists said that Xom Trai Cave, recognized as a national archaeological site in 2001, is believed to be a tool workshop as well as a habitat for people of the Hoa Binh civilization.
Hundreds of stone artifacts, including seats and cutting tools, weighing up to 10 kg each, and tens of millions of seashells have been discovered in 200 sqm area in the cave.
Researchers also discovered the oldest artifact of prehistoric art in Vietnam and two ancient tracks dating back 21,000 years.
The ancient roads are the first of such discovery in Southeast Asia.
Especially, a mans skeleton was found in a stratum of between 14,000-17,000 years old. Researchers said that the man was about 35-40 years old and 1.65-1.68 m tall.
Researchers also found two kinds of mineral rock used by prehistoric people as nutrition supplements. (ANI)
- 30,000 B.C. cave home found in China - May 11, 2011
- 9,000-year-old tools found in Mexico - Oct 21, 2011
- Evolution of human 'super-brain' tied to development of bipedalism, tool-making - Apr 21, 2011
- China began cultivating millet 10,000 years ago - Oct 16, 2011
- Neanderthals were not stupid, indicates new evidence - Jan 09, 2010
- Previously unknown Himalayan cave culture discovered - Mar 01, 2011
- Bukit Bunuh-the oldest Palaeolithic site outside Africa - Feb 28, 2011
- Archaeologists unearth 127-km long 'Great Wall' of Vietnam - Jan 27, 2011
- 100,000-yr-old fossilized teeth of cavemen found in Central China - Nov 27, 2010
- 5,000-year-old civilization found in southern Iran - Jan 06, 2011
- More than 240,000 cultural relics unearthed in China - Nov 29, 2010
- 2,000-year-old vessels found in Sri Lanka - Apr 22, 2011
- Remains of largest Stone Age building discovered in NW China - Jan 26, 2011
- Did first humans emerge from Middle East, not Africa? - Dec 28, 2010
- Traces of ancient civilisation found in Chinese desert - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: ancient artifacts, ancient roads, archaeologists, artifact, cutting tools, hanoi vietnam, hoa binh, lac son, nutrition supplements, prehistoric art, prehistoric artifacts, prehistoric people, seashells, southeast asia, stone artifacts, stratum, tool workshop, treasure trove, vietnam hanoi, xom trai