More rare gold coins recovered in Andhra villageOctober 29th, 2011 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 29 (IANS) Police in Andhra Pradesh’s Mahabubnagar district Saturday recovered 73 more gold coins believed to be of Vijayanagara dynasty.
With this, the number of gold coins recovered since Oct 26 has gone up to 208.
As many as 135 coins were recovered from the villagers of Kalagotla on Diwali. The coins weighing one to three grams each were found by some villagers while removing weeds on farm land. They reportedly distributed the coins among themselves.
Police rushed to the village after some people informed them about the recovery of the rare coins. They conducted more searches in the village on Saturday and recovered 73 coins from the villagers.
The coins, believed to be of Vijayanagara dynasty, are reportedly made of pure gold. Some Hindu idol figures and ancient scriptures are also encrypted on the coins.
Officials of the department of archaeology are examining the coins to find out which era they are from.
- 200,000 ancient coins found in China - Jun 05, 2011
- 700 year-old gold coins found in Israel - Jul 09, 2012
- Reliance Money launches new gold coins with India Post logo - Oct 18, 2010
- Rare US gold coins found in a garden in London - Oct 19, 2010
- Egypt discovers 2,000-year-old bronze coins - Apr 23, 2010
- Buddhist scripture found engraved in Chinese cave - Jun 12, 2011
- Mysore Dussehra ends with grand elephant procession (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Pakistan to issue Rs.20 coin - May 21, 2011
- Where Diwali is dark and celebrated a month later! - Oct 27, 2011
- Salman's Diwali gift for the needy - Sep 23, 2009
- India Post to sell gold coins during festive season - Oct 27, 2010
- Mysore Dasara begins, promises pomp, pageantry - Sep 28, 2011
- Cheer for buyers as gold prices dip on Akshaya Tritiya (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Slip in gold prices an added incentive to buyers this Akshaya Tritiya - May 06, 2011
- Remains of 1300 years old ancient temples found near Bhopal - Oct 16, 2010