More Indian women marrying before turning 25: SurveyJune 26th, 2012 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) An increasing number of women across India are keen to tie the knot before they turn 25, and states like Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat top the chart, a survey released here Tuesday has showed.
Conducted by online matrimonial portal Jeevansathi.com, the survey said Tamil Nadu had registered the maximum increase of 19 percent in the last two years followed by Delhi which had witnessed a 14 percent increase - from 32 percent in 2010 to 46 percent in 2012.
“Some 64 percent of girls in Kerala, 54 percent in Gujarat and 53 percent in Andhra Pradesh got married before they turned 25,” said the survey.
“States like Punjab, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh have also witnessed an increase in the girls opting for early marriages… Almost all states show more than 10 percent increase,” added the survey.
“While it’s a common belief that women today are comfortable with late marriages, the survey shows that most young ladies wish to get married before reaching the age of 25. This could be due to various socio-economic factors and also due to a personal need for companionship,” said Rohit Manghnani, business head at Jeevansathi.com.
- Divorced Indian men prefer single women when marrying again - May 03, 2011
- Divorces under 25 doubled in three years - Dec 20, 2011
- Civil service officers most sought after grooms in India: Study - Jan 18, 2011
- Women over 50 not shying from marriage - Jun 30, 2010
- On the rise: Divorces under 25 - Dec 29, 2011
- Astrology still matters in Indian marriages: Study - Sep 01, 2011
- Men go for looks, women go by profession - Aug 19, 2010
- Dads not just money bags: changing role of fathers (Father's Day is June 19) - Jun 18, 2011
- Kids posting profiles of single parents on matrimonial sites - Oct 26, 2010
- Two held for duping girls via matrimonial ads - Jan 29, 2011
- Fighting once a week? It's good for marriage - Jan 11, 2012
- Prospective groom sounds too perfect? Hire a detective - Mar 18, 2010
- Age no bar in India when it comes to marriage! - May 16, 2011
- Senior revenue officer arrested for cheating women - Dec 18, 2009
- Buy a house first to marry in China - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, belief that women, business head, companionship, economic factors, girls, gujarat, India, indian women, knot, late marriages, madhya pradesh, matrimonial portal, maximum increase, New Delhi, personal need, uttar pradesh, young ladies