Modern lifestyle habits help prevent tooth decayFebruary 27th, 2009 - 1:21 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 27 (ANI): Modern lifestyle habits help prevent tooth decay, according to a new study.
According to a review of the scientific evidence over the past 150 years, the effects of fluoride toothpaste, good oral hygiene and health education, might override the effects of food alone on tooth decay.
Professor Monty Duggal, an author of the review, said that it’’s not enough to just look at what we eat when talking about tooth decay, as other factors seem to be as important.
Fluoride toothpaste changes the effect that some foods have on the teeth, as do other good oral hygiene practices”.
Future research should investigate a number of lifestyle factors together with different foods that might affect tooth decay. Times have changed and with that, the foods we eat, and how we care for our teeth, Duggal said.
The overall aim of the review was to look at the evidence for the claim that sugar was the main cause of dental caries (tooth decay).
The researchers concluded that out of 31 studies carefully reviewed, the majority did not find a relationship between the amount of sugar consumed and dental caries, but the frequency of consumption may be important.
Most people now know the best way to prevent tooth decay is to brush with fluoride toothpaste twice a day, especially before going to bed, courtesy=y dental health education.
The research has been published online in a Supplement to the journal Obesity Reviews. (ANI)
- Most people brush their teeth the wrong way - May 16, 2012
- Substantial consumption of fluoride ups chance of mild fluorosis - Oct 26, 2010
- 'Ignorance takes toll on oral health' (September 12 is World Oral Health Day) - Sep 12, 2012
- Mom's emotions affect child's dental health: Study - Aug 23, 2012
- Fluoride in water good for dental health - Aug 25, 2010
- Fluoridated toothpaste best for usage by children - Jan 21, 2010
- '40 pc Indians in metros suffer from tooth sensitivity' - Jul 03, 2011
- Six dental myths demystified - Aug 06, 2010
- Himalaya firm forays into herbal oral care segment - Dec 16, 2010
- Good dental hygiene may not stop tooth enamel from decaying - Jan 17, 2010
- Parents play vital role in maintaining child's oral health - May 18, 2010
- Rubbing toothpaste on gums protects against cavities - Mar 28, 2012
- Does fluoride really fight cavities? - Dec 16, 2010
- Mothers' oral hygiene affects child's health - May 18, 2010
- Drink tap water to avoid dentist's drill - Apr 14, 2010
Tags: aim, consumption, decay times, dental caries, dental health education, different foods, fluoride toothpaste, future research, good oral hygiene, hygiene practices, lifestyle factors, lifestyle habits, obesity, relationship, teeth, tooth decay