Moderate alcohol consumption cuts ‘risk of metabolic diseases’November 30th, 2010 - 12:42 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 30 (ANI): Researchers have found that moderate drinkers tend to have about 30 per cent lower risk of developing late onset diabetes than do non-drinkers, and moderate drinkers also tend to be at lower risk of developing metabolic syndrome.
A cross-sectional analysis of 6172 subjects age 35 -75 in Switzerland related varying levels of alcohol intake to the presence of DM, MS, and an index of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR).
Alcohol consumption was categorized as non-drinkers ,low-risk, medium-to-high-risk and very-high-risk drinkers. 73pc of participants consumed alcohol, 16pc were medium-to-high-risk drinkers and 2pc very-high risk drinkers
The study found that the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome, diabetes and mean HOMA-IR decreased with low-risk drinking and increased with high-risk drinking.
Adjusted prevalence of the metabolic syndrome was 24pc in non-drinkers, 19pc in low-risk, 20pc in medium-to-high-risk and 29pc in very-high-risk drinkers.
Adjusted prevalence of diabetes was 6.0pc in non-drinkers, 3.6pc in low-risk, 3.8pc in medium-to-high-risk and 6.7pc in very-high-risk drinkers. These relationships did not differ according to beverage types.
Moderate drinkers also had the lowest weight, tryglycerides, and blood pressure. All drinkers had higher HDL-cholesterol values (that is ‘good cholesterol) than did non-drinkers.
Metabolic syndrome is the name given to a so called ‘lifestyle disease’, where patients exhibit multiple medical problems including high blood pressure, late on set diabetes, and high cholesterol. (ANI)
- Mediterranean diet a sound recipe for healthy living - Mar 08, 2011
- Vegans 'at lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and stroke' - Apr 14, 2011
- Vegetarians at significantly lower heart disease, diabetes and stroke risk - Apr 16, 2011
- Alcohol ups risk of coronary artery disease in Chinese men - Dec 10, 2010
- Insulin resistance may be linked to stroke risk - Oct 12, 2010
- Be nutty for good health - Apr 13, 2012
- Features of metabolic syndrome prevalent in people with psoriasis - Dec 21, 2010
- TV addiction boosts diabetes risk among elderly - Jul 31, 2012
- Adults with large waistlines, high blood pressure 'at high risk for memory loss' - Feb 03, 2011
- Moderate drinking after heart attack lowers death risk - Mar 28, 2012
- Healthy lifestyle lowers mid-age cardiac risk - Mar 04, 2012
- Obese patients at higher risk from major complications after surgery - Apr 19, 2011
- Scientists develop new animal model to tackle liver disease - Jul 05, 2012
- Even two pegs can endanger life of women with breast cancer - Jul 18, 2011
- Experts wary of Lancet's study on good cholesterol - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,