Mobile charging stations to ensure electric cars never run out of batterySeptember 6th, 2010 - 5:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 6 (ANI): Drivers, who are fearing they could be left stranded if the battery of their electric vehicles run out of charge, can now breath a sigh of relief, for researchers have now devised a solution to the problem- portable charging stations
Zafer Sahinoglu at the Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and colleagues, are developing a network of portable charging stations, which can be moved to wherever the demand for recharging is greatest.
To determine where the stations are needed, in-car sensors would monitor the level of charge in the battery and periodically report this to a central operations centre, which would flag areas where most cars run low on juice.
The stations can then be deployed wherever the low-charge “hotspots” are at that time, reports the New Scientist.
Just five mobile stations would be needed to cover 100 electric cars on a 100-kilometre stretch of highway, said the team.
The roaming stations could be charged up from the mains at night, and then discharge their electricity to cars during the day, they say, reducing the load on the electricity grid at peak times.
The team will present their idea at the Vehicular Technology Conference in Ottawa, Canada, next week. (ANI)
- Bangalore firm develops portable solar power generator - Apr 09, 2012
- U.S. Spec Mitsubishi i-MiEV Has Been Unveiled - Nov 10, 2010
- Battery research will give electric cars the same range as petrol ones - Apr 07, 2011
- China opens largest electric car-charging station - Jan 30, 2012
- Cellphone batteries to recharge in 15 minutes - Nov 18, 2011
- South Australian govt worried that electric cars would stress the power grid - Mar 15, 2012
- Li-ion batteries in electric cars greener than believed - Aug 31, 2010
- Moscow to have electric-car charging stations - Feb 29, 2012
- Now recharge cellphones in seconds - Mar 21, 2011
- Cutting edge battery to store solar, wind energy - Nov 27, 2011
- New software makes future electric cars closer to reality - Mar 15, 2011
- New 3-D nanostructure makes batteries charge quickly and retain capacity - Mar 21, 2011
- Volt goes 1000 miles between refills - May 03, 2011
- China launches first electric car for public - Oct 27, 2011
- Now, futuristic car that uses body as battery - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: cambridge massachusetts, central operations, colleagues, electric cars, electric vehicles, electricity grid, hotspots, kilometre stretch, mains, mitsubishi electric, mitsubishi electric research, mobile stations, new scientist, operations centre, ottawa canada, peak times, research laboratories, sensors, sigh of relief, vehicular technology conference