Mississippi river could fight Gulf oil spillJune 18th, 2010 - 5:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 18 (ANI): There is finally a saviour for coastal wetlands of Louisiana, currently threatened by the Gulf oil spill - the Mississippi river.
Louisiana wetlands “play a vital role in protecting New Orleans from hurricane damage, providing habitat for wildlife, supporting economically important fisheries, and maintaining water quality,” says Efi Foufoula-Georgiou, director of NCED.
Scientists believe that Mississippi river’s hydrology may help reduce oil onshore. Robert Twilley and Guerry Holm of Louisiana State University (LSU) are investigating the degree to which two delta wetland characteristics may help mitigate oil contamination. The pair is performing baseline and damage assessments on the plants and soils of, and comparing oil degradation processes in, freshwater and saltwater Louisiana wetlands.
“Since the Mississippi River is currently at a relatively high stage, we expect the river’s high volume of freshwater to act as a hydrologic barrier, keeping oil from moving into the Wax Lake Delta from the sea,” says Twilley.
“The Mississippi River’s ‘plumbing’ provides a potential benefit to reducing the movement of oil onshore from shelf waters,” he adds.
The plan is to build concrete gates within the levees of the river to allow water to flow to specific coastal basins and flood ways. However, as the river stage falls, the team will have to decide the most optimum way of distributing this freshwater resource. (ANI)
- BP oil disaster threatens goods and services worth far more than BP's value - Study - Jun 10, 2010
- Over a million homes without power in storm-hit US states - Aug 31, 2012
- Debates rage over impact of oil dispersants in Gulf - Jul 12, 2010
- Hundreds evacuated as storm floods homes in Bobby Jindal's state - Aug 30, 2012
- Massive oil slick inches closer to Louisiana coast - Apr 30, 2010
- Oil spill heads for US coast - Apr 30, 2010
- Mississippi River Delta may drown by 2100 - Jun 30, 2009
- Maharashtra to bid for UN recognition to six wetlands (With Images) - Sep 07, 2012
- Flooding still threatens communities despite Missouri levee blasts - May 04, 2011
- BP working on new approach as Obama loses patience - May 15, 2010
- New model to measure organic carbon in surface waters - Mar 05, 2011
- President Obama to tour oil spill disaster area - May 02, 2010
- Andhra court stays release of water to Krishna delta - Jul 16, 2012
- Biggest oil spill kills highest number of dolphins - Jul 20, 2012
- Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries announces opening of shrimp season in portion of oil spill affected area - May 27, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,