Minus money, man walks 34 days to reach homeMarch 10th, 2009 - 12:38 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 10 (Xinhua) A man walked 800 km over 34 days to reach home to join his 70-year-old mother for the Lunar New Year celebrations after his money was stolen, a newspaper reported Tuesday.
Li Haitao, 30, a migrant worker from central China’s Henan province, walked from Beijing to Zhengzhou from Feb 3 to March 9 to spend the Spring Festival with his mother, said the Dahe Daily.
Li found that 2,000 yuan ($290) kept in his pocket had been stolen Jan 21 before he could pay for a ticket at the railway station at Baotou in north China’s Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region where he worked as a welder.
Another newspaper, Henan Business News, reported that the penniless man was then sent to a local rescue station. Li was given a ticket to Beijing Feb 1.
After staying in the rescue station for a day, Li chose to walk home, and picked up and sold empty mineral water bottles along the way in order to get money to eat. He slept during the day because it was too cold to sleep at night with only a blanket in the open air, reported Orient Today, another newspaper.
He arrived in the provincial capital Zhengzhou at 8 a.m. Monday morning when the police found the unkempt man with a pair of worn-out shoes, said Orient Today.
- Pricey peaches stolen from China laboratory - Jul 25, 2012
- Two held for Chinese journalist's killing - Sep 21, 2011
- Fruit of 10 years' research stolen as another peach - Jul 04, 2012
- Three-year-old survives fall from fourth floor - Sep 06, 2010
- Woman offers 10-years free-work for father's cure - Mar 30, 2012
- 11 dead in China rail accident - Aug 14, 2010
- Seven held in China for prostituting underage girls - Jul 19, 2012
- China launches rare earth trading platform - Aug 08, 2012
- China's Shaolin Temple risks losing rating - Jan 31, 2012
- 40,000-year-old site found in China - Mar 21, 2012
- Boy killed, chopped up, turned into mincemeat - Jul 20, 2011
- Chinese held for raping 11 girls - May 30, 2012
- Chinese student saves man from train, may lose legs - Jul 16, 2012
- Man held for locking up women as sex slaves - Sep 23, 2011
- China to build economic zone - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: baotou, central china, henan province, inner mongolia autonomous region, local rescue, lunar new year, migrant worker, mineral water, money man, new year celebrations, north china, old mother, penniless man, provincial capital, railway station, spring festival, unkempt man, water bottles, welder, xinhua