Minor girl in Odisha protests against forced marriageJuly 24th, 2012 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 24 (IANS) A “minor” girl in Odisha has lodged a police complaint against her family for forcing her to marry and not allowing her to study, police said Tuesday. The police have registered a case against nine persons of the family, including her father.
The incident took place at Kuhurakot village in Nabrangpur district, about 700 km from here.
The 16-year-old girl’s family allegedly fixed her marriage recently after she was unsuccessful in the Class 10 examination. The family performed an engagement ceremony despite her protest, police officer Sarbeswar Behera told IANS. The police are yet to verify the exact age of the girl.
The girl, who has been living in her maternal uncle’s house after the incident, managed to lodge a complaint at the local Jharigaon police station July 20. The police have registered a case against nine members of the family, including her father Phagunu Panaka, said Behera.
According to law, the marriage-age for a man and woman are 21 and 18 years, respectively. Although child marriages have been declared illegal, the practice continues to flourish.
- Minor resists marriage, gets father arrested in Odisha - Jul 26, 2012
- Girl goes to police against father - Mar 05, 2012
- Bengal girl commits suicide after sexual harassment - Aug 14, 2012
- Hindu-Muslim marriage held up as families come to blows - Jun 14, 2010
- Betrayed in love, undertrial hangs himself in jail - Apr 27, 2012
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- 16-year-old girl in Rajasthan alleges gang rape - Jun 29, 2012
- Ghaziabad traders protest police inaction, shut shops - Aug 11, 2012
- No diplomatic immunity for accused official: French embassy - Jun 18, 2012
- Andhra college girl loses voice after ragging by seniors - Jul 22, 2012
- Protests over Odisha women panel's report on gang rape - Feb 07, 2012
- Boy elopes with girl, khap orders attack on kin - Aug 23, 2011
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Girl gang raped in basement of Ghaziabad mall - May 04, 2012
Tags: 18 years, child marriages, engagement ceremony, exact age, man and woman, marriage, marriage age, maternal uncle, members of the family, odisha, old girl, police complaint, police officer, police station, protest, protests