Migraines up stroke risk during pregnancyMarch 11th, 2009 - 2:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 11 (ANI): Women who suffer migraines during pregnancy are at an increased risk of stroke as well as other vascular conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure and blood clots, says a new study.
Using a database of over 18 million hospital discharge records, scientists in the United States tested the association between migraine and vascular diseases during pregnancy.
In the British Medical Journal study, boffins identified 33,956 pregnancy related discharges with a diagnosis of migraine from 2000 to 2003.
Older women (40 years of age or more) were 2.4 times more likely to have a diagnosis of migraines than women under 20 years of age, the study revealed.
Also, migraines during pregnancy were linked to a 15-fold increased risk of stroke. Migraines also tripled the risk of blood clots in the veins and doubled the risk of heart disease.
Vascular risk factors were also strongly associated with migraines. These included diabetes, high blood pressure and cigarette smoking. (ANI)
- Migraine sufferers 'at higher risk of dying from heart disease' - Aug 25, 2010
- Migraine may up risk of stroke - Nov 17, 2009
- Migraines do not hurt your brain - Aug 12, 2012
- Chances of heart attack, stroke rise with BP - Dec 20, 2011
- Heavy smoking doubles Alzheimer's risk - Oct 27, 2010
- Insulin resistance may be linked to stroke risk - Oct 12, 2010
- Migraine likely to double risk of heart attacks - Feb 11, 2010
- Clogged arteries can also cause clouded thinking - Jul 22, 2011
- Study: Smoking doubles the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia - Oct 27, 2010
- Compound in apple, onion can beat blood clots: Study - May 09, 2012
- Contraceptive pills increase risk of vascular diseases among women(Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Urine test can predict fatal condition in pregnant women - Nov 13, 2011
- Diet soda ups risk of vascular events; high salt intake linked to stroke - Feb 10, 2011
- Contraceptive pills a risk for women's hearts - Mar 09, 2011
- Low iron levels tied to blood clot risk - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: blood clots, british medical journal, cigarette smoking, diabetes, diagnosis, discharges, heart disease, high blood pressure, hospital discharge records, migraine, migraines, older women, pregnancy, risk of heart disease, scientists, stroke risk, vascular conditions, vascular diseases, vascular risk factors, veins