Migraine sufferers at increased anxiety riskJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 2:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 22 (ANI): A new study has found that people who suffer from migraine might be at an increased risk of developing mental disorders such as anxiety and depression.
According to the researchers, migraine headaches can precede the onset of mental disorders.
“Together, migraine and mental disorders cause more impairment than alone,” said lead study author Gregory Ratcliffe.
“Patients who have one condition should be assessed for the other so they can be treated holistically. Although it is important to know that both are present, treating one will have an effect on the other,” he added.
During the study, researchers found that 11 percent of participants had migraines.
They had had a variety of disorders: major depression, general anxiety disorder, dysthymia, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, panic disorder, substance abuse disorders, agoraphobia and simple phobia.
One possible explanation, according to the authors, might be that a common factor influences both conditions, such as low activity of enzymes that deactivate certain chemical messages sent to the brain.
In the second theory, they considered a causal relationship: This study and others found that anxiety often precedes migraine, which often precedes depression.
Frederick Taylor, M.D., director of the Park Nicollet Headache Clinic in St. Louis Park, Minn., said that migraine co-morbidities - depression, anxiety and other disorders - affect 83 percent of migraineurs and explain 65 percent of their inability to function in life, more than the pain itself.
The study appears in journal General Hospital Psychiatry. (ANI)
- Migraine linked to childhood abuse - Jan 07, 2010
- Mood and anxiety disorders remain common in older adults - May 04, 2010
- Fear of colour? Here's how to cure it - Apr 08, 2012
- Yoga effective in treating psychiatric disorders - Sep 20, 2011
- Migraines do not hurt your brain - Aug 12, 2012
- Depression, anxiety affects every society: Study - Jul 24, 2012
- Now, treat chronic migraine with Botox - Aug 30, 2011
- Migraine and depression may have genetic link - Jan 14, 2010
- Mood, anxiety disorders patients likely to abuse painkillers - Dec 14, 2011
- Video game addiction tied to depression, anxiety in kids - Jan 20, 2011
- British dogs to get anti-depressants - Jun 25, 2012
- Migraine, depression genetically linked - Jan 18, 2010
- Migraine sufferers process visual cues poorly in messy environments - Apr 09, 2010
- Anxiety disorders mount since credit crunch - Jan 01, 2012
- Juggling work, kids - women more prone to depression - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: anxiety and depression, causal relationship, chemical messages, common factor, depression anxiety, frederick taylor, general anxiety disorder, headache clinic, hospital psychiatry, major depression, mental disorders, migraine headaches, migraine sufferers, panic attacks, panic disorder, park nicollet, ratcliffe, study author, study researchers, substance abuse disorders