Mid-day meals bungle lands 17 Uttar Pradesh principals in soupSeptember 26th, 2008 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 26 (IANS) An inquiry has been initiated against principals of 17 government-run primary schools in Uttar Pradesh’s Sant Ravidas Nagar district for irregularities in the Mid-Day Meal (MDM) scheme run for students, an official said Friday.”The anomalies in the MDM scheme came to the fore during our surprise inspections of the schools,” R.S. Dwivedi, officer in-charge of basic education in Sant Ravidas Nagar, told IANS by phone.
During the surprise checks “we learnt that some of the schools were not regularly providing lunch to their students under the MDM scheme. In other schools, the food under the MDM scheme was being cooked in unhygienic conditions,” he added.
Education authorities raided nearly 24 schools in Bhikripur, Babusarai, Tulsipur, Kodhra and other villages to find out the quality of lunch being provided to students under the MDM scheme, officials said.
Sant Ravidas Nagar, better known by its old name of Bhadohi, is about 250 km from Lucknow.
About 150,000 schools are covered under the mid-day meal scheme in Uttar Pradesh. Under the scheme, lunch is provided to students till Class 8. Over 18.6 million students are enrolled under the scheme in the state.
- 105 schools to face action for mid-day meal irregularities - May 20, 2009
- 48 students fall ill after having mid-day meal - Jul 14, 2011
- Students refuse food cooked by Dalits, principal suspended - Jul 09, 2010
- Action against three Uttar Pradesh schools making students cook meals - Mar 06, 2009
- Over 100 students fall ill after medication at health camp - Dec 14, 2010
- Goa to inspect kitchens after mid-day meal fiasco - Jun 17, 2011
- Even animals won't eat Mid-Day Meal in Goa: Parrikar - Jul 31, 2012
- 11 government school students hospitalised in Goa - Jun 15, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh school replaces Dalit cook with Brahmin - Aug 26, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh teachers to face action for mid-day meal anomalies - Jan 10, 2009
- Mid-Day Meal scheme: action against teachers for irregularities - Nov 05, 2008
- Non availability of mid day meals affect students attendance in Kathua - Feb 24, 2011
- Centralised kitchens in Pubjab for mid-day meals - Jul 10, 2011
- Mid-day meal: 10 schools face action for irregularities - Nov 20, 2008
- Headmaster held for molesting girls - Sep 26, 2011