Microsoft Kinect becomes fastest-selling electronic device of all timeMarch 11th, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 11 (ANI): Microsoft’s Kinect has thrashed iPhone and iPad to become the fastest selling consumer electronics device of all time.
The company has set a new Guinness World Record after selling 10 million units worldwide since the Kinect went on sale four months ago, reports the Daily Mail.
It proved so popular that it shifted more than 133,000 units a day in its first 60 days on sale.
The sales figures are significantly bigger than those of both the iPhone and iPad after their launches.
Kinect is a device for the Xbox console, which costs around 130 pounds.
Its immense success helped boost Microsoft’s profits in the last quarter of 2010.”The sales figures here speak for themselves. We can confirm that no other consumer electronics device sold faster within a 60-day time span, an incredible achievement considering the strength of the sector,” Gaz Deaves, Guinness World Records 2011 Gamer’s Edition editor, told the Telegraph.
The Kinect uses a camera connected the console to track the movement of the players.
It was developed in response to Ninentndo’s Wii and in order for Microsoft to capture a larger share of the massive casual gaming market created by the Wii. (ANI)
- Microsoft Kinect To Break Selling Records? - Sep 29, 2010
- Microsoft to bring cable TV content to Xbox game console - Oct 06, 2011
- Microsoft unveils voice activated Xbox Kinect - Nov 05, 2010
- Tiger Woods removed from cover of his own video game - Jan 07, 2011
- Kids want to ditch train sets and dolls for iPhones this Christmas - Oct 25, 2010
- Sony PlayStation Move Sales Eclipsing Kinect? - Dec 02, 2010
- Samsung has not infringed Apple's key patent: Tokyo court - Aug 31, 2012
- iPhones, iPads in kids' Christmas wish list - Oct 25, 2010
- Xbox 360 Kinect Among The Hottest Toys - Nov 07, 2010
- Paper iPhones offered to deceased - Mar 28, 2012
- iPod tops kids' Christmas wish list - Nov 28, 2010
- Sonam Kapoor named brand ambassador of year - Mar 22, 2011
- Apple becomes most valuable company in history - Aug 21, 2012
- Apple doubles profit on solid iPhone sales - Apr 25, 2012
- What do your smartphones and laptops say about you? - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: 10 million, daily mail, day time, electronic device, four months, gamer, gaming market, guinness world record, guinness world records, immense success, ipad, iphone, last quarter, launches, profits, selling consumer electronics, telegraph, time span, wii, xbox