Michael Phelps bags eighth Olympics gold medal, creates historyAugust 17th, 2008 - 11:26 am ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 17 (ANI): American swimmer Michael Phelps on Sunday created history after winning his eighth gold medal at single Olympic Games, when US won the Men’’s 4×100m medley relay final here.
Michael Phelps of the United States broke Mark Spitz’’s 36-year-old record of seven golds in one Olympics. The American won the event in a new world record time of 3:29.34, 1.44 seconds faster than their previous mark.
With this win, the 23-year-old has bagged 14 Olympic gold medals and 16 total medals. He holds the record for most medals won by a male, surpassing Soviet gymnast Nikolai Andrianov, who won 15 from 1972-1980.
Soviet female gymnast Larysa Latynina holds the record with 18.
On Saturday, Phelps tied the record by beating Serbia’’s Milorad Cavic by the slimmest margin in swimming (0.01 seconds) in the 100-meter butterfly stroke event.
He had won six gold medals and two bronze at the 2004 Athens Games.
Phelps” victories in Beijing include: 200-meter freestyle, 200 and 400 individual medleys, 100 and 200 butterfly, 4×200 free relay, 4×100 medley relay, 4×100 free relay. (ANI)
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Phelps caps career with gold in Olympic relay - Aug 05, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Phelps wins 400m medley gold at Austin meet - Jan 15, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: 4x100m medley, american swimmer, athens games, beijing, butterfly stroke, female gymnast, gold medal, mark spitz, medley relay, medleys, meter butterfly, meter freestyle, michael phelps, milorad cavic, new world record, nikolai andrianov, olympic games, olympic gold medals, soviet gymnast, world record time