Michael Green named as Stephen Hawking’s successor at Cambridge UniversityOctober 21st, 2009 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, October 21 (ANI): Cambridge University has named Professor Michael Green as the man who will succeed Professor Stephen Hawking in one of the world’s most prestigious academic positions - the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics.
Professor Hawking, who has motor neurone disease, completed his last day as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics on September 30.
According to a report by BBC News, the university said that Professor Michael Green had been elected as the 18th person to take up the position.
Professor Green will start work in his new role on November 1.
The academic already holds the John Humphrey Plummer Professorship of Theoretical Physics at the university.
He is a pioneer of string theory, the idea that the fundamental building blocks of space and time are tiny vibrating strings.
“Michael Green has played a leading role in theoretical physics research in the department since 1993,” said Peter Haynes, head of the department of applied mathematics and theoretical physics.
“He is internationally known as a pioneer in string theory which over the last 20 years has become one of the most important and active areas of theoretical physics,” he added.
Meanwhile, Professor Hawking has taken on a new role as director of research.
The Lucasian Professorship was established in 1663 and previous holders have included Isaac Newton. (ANI)
- Stephen Hawking joins institute set up by BlackBerry - Jun 09, 2010
- Stephen Hawking joins Canada's Perimeter Institute (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Stephen Hawking to give up Cambridge chair - Oct 24, 2008
- Stephen Hawking to retire as Cambridges Professor of Mathematics next year - Oct 24, 2008
- 'God didn't play a hand in The Big Bang', says Stephen Hawking - Sep 02, 2010
- Stephen Hawking joining Canadian institute - Nov 29, 2008
- British scientist Stephen Hawking 'very ill' in hospital - Apr 20, 2009
- Stephen Hawking set for 'full recovery' after hospital tests - Apr 21, 2009
- 'God did not create the universe' - Sep 02, 2010
- Indian scientists dismiss reports on 'god particle' - May 01, 2011
- Radical theory says 'inanimate' objects also alive - Jan 30, 2012
- Stephen Hawking, Sen. Kennedy among 16 recipients of Presidential Medal of Freedom - Jul 31, 2009
- Newton's apple tree to travel into zero gravity - May 10, 2010
- 15-year-old is youngest Cambridge student in over 200 years - Sep 03, 2010
- US varsity sets up Jain Studies professorship - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: academic positions, cambridge university, director of research, isaac newton, john humphrey, lucasian professor of mathematics, mathematics professor, michael green, motor neurone disease, peter haynes, plummer, position professor, professor michael, professor stephen, professorship, space and time, stephen hawking, string theory, theoretical physics research, university london