Mentally ill enslaved in China factory freedDecember 15th, 2010 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 15 (IANS) At least 12 mentally ill people, enslaved in a factory in China’s Xinjiang Uygur region, have been rescued and the factory owner arrested and charged with abuse, officials said.Police detained factory owner Li Xinglin Tuesday evening in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province.
Li had fled after local media revealed details about his abuse of mentally ill people in his factory, the China Daily reported Wednesday. His son, Li Chenglong, was also arrested while fleeing on a bus.
The factory, Jiaersi Green Construction Material Chemical Factory, registered in July 2006, produces quartz sand.
Reporters from the Xinjiang Metropolis News were tipped that the factory was using mentally ill workers. They went to the factory under cover and interviewed the owner about pollution, and viewed the conditions there.
The reporters found the workshop covered with thick dust, but workers had no masks.
Some neighbours told them that similar plants in the area were closed from October to March but workers at Jiaersi worked all year round and that too without pay.
The report aroused widespread publicity and resulted in prompt action, and the factory has been closed.
The rescued workers have been placed under the care of local authorities.
- Chinese couple jailed for enslaving mentally disabled - May 01, 2011
- Chinese police kill seven kidnappers, free hostages - Dec 29, 2011
- One dead as small plane crashes in China lake - Aug 19, 2012
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- China fights rats with stray cats - Aug 20, 2011
- 50 Chinese kids 'rescued' from religious preachers - Jun 06, 2012
- Four found dead after flooding washes away trucks in northwestern China - Jun 22, 2011
- With winter months away, snow starts to fall in northwest China - Sep 06, 2010
- Toxic gas leak kills five in China - May 09, 2012
- 2 dead, 16 injured after explosion in Foxconn factory in southwest China - May 21, 2011
- Mudslide at iron mine in northwest China kills 7, buries 21 - Aug 01, 2012
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Air China opens flight to Mumbai - May 02, 2012
- Chinese squirts glue on women's hair - Jul 23, 2012
- China to recruit 8,000 police officers - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,