Mental illness effects the MP’sJuly 16th, 2008 - 1:40 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Mental illnesses can take many forms. Mental illnesses are feared and perhaps misunderstood by a few people, but then the fear will vanish as people learn more about them.
Mental illness is very common and a record shows that one in every five Canadians suffer a mental health problem.
The myth of mental illness are :
* People with mental illness are violent and dangerous.
* People with mental illness are poor and/or less intelligent. Many studies show that most mentally ill people have average or above-average intelligence. Mental illness, like physical illness, can affect anyone regardless of intelligence, social class or income level.
* Mental illness is caused by a personal weakness.
* Mental illness is a single, rare disorder.
A survey has been made and the result shows that one in five parliamentarians suffers from mental illness caused by the stress of their public lives. They fear because of discrimination and stigma. 27 per cent of the MP’s had concerns on their mental health.
The survey of MPs, peers and general staff working in parliament found that while the majority agreed greater honesty about mental health was “a good thing”, the risks - including stigma and a media backlash - were deemed too high.
The report states the requirement that an MP sectioned under the Mental Health Act for more than six months automatically loses his or her seat is discriminatory and encourages concealment of illness.
- Shed stigma over mental illness: Experts - Mar 10, 2012
- Mental health neglected, multinational partnerships needed: Azad - Feb 17, 2011
- Is India finally waking up to mental illness? - Feb 02, 2012
- Scientists salvage humble bread's reputation - Sep 14, 2012
- China mulls law for 100 mn mentally ill - Oct 25, 2011
- Beat stress with transcendental meditation - Nov 17, 2011
- Worrying, intelligence may have co-evolved - Apr 13, 2012
- Mental health stigma damaging to career - Aug 31, 2009
- Mentally ill prone to poor teeth - Sep 02, 2011
- Intervention enhances self-esteem among persons with serious mental illness - May 14, 2010
- Government planning new mental health care bill - Aug 19, 2011
- Iodized salt usage up by 20 percent in rural households: Study - Apr 25, 2011
- Telling lies bad for health - Aug 08, 2012
- Obese targeted at workplace - Sep 27, 2011
- Shaming obese people can backfire - May 04, 2011