‘Menstruating’ hen blamed for bloody egg whiteMarch 5th, 2012 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 5 (IANS) A Chinese company claimed its “hens were menstruating” when a customer complained that the egg whites of its products were blood red.
Bai, who hails from Qingdao in Shandong province, found one of the eggs she bought from a supermarket had egg white coloured blood red, the Shanghai Daily reported Monday.
The staff at the store told the Peninsula Metropolitan daily that it was normal for the egg white to appear red because the eggs were produced by special hens fed with insects.
That’s why the company’s eggs were labelled “Insect Eggs”.
Bai was even more shocked when a staff with Rensun company, the egg producer, told the Metropolitan that “the egg white looks bloody red because the hens were menstruating”.
However Ji Haifeng, a researcher with the Beijing-based China Agricultural University rejected the explanations, saying hens cannot menstruate.
Ji suspected the red egg white was caused by the hen’s inflamed fallopian tubes due to an infection or dubious feed. He warned residents not to eat such eggs.
- China exports 120 trains to Sri Lanka - Jul 19, 2012
- Five dead in China building fire - Apr 22, 2012
- Rat-borne disease kills 10 in China - Dec 31, 2011
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Insect bites kill seven in China - Sep 10, 2010
- China launches first book on marine life - Aug 30, 2011
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Millions of birds dead, killed in Mexico flu outbreak - Jul 26, 2012
- What makes for more healthy eggs? - Aug 04, 2011
- 240 tonnes of algae cleared from Chinese port - Jul 11, 2011
- Eggs that bounce like rubber hit China markets - Feb 10, 2012
- Insect bites kill 13 in China (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Kite disrupts landings at China airport - May 05, 2012
- Chicken lays double-yolked eggs in China - Jun 19, 2011
- China punishes six media groups for professional violations - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: bai, beijing, bloody red, china agricultural university, chinese company, egg producer, egg white, egg whites, explanations, fallopian tubes, insect eggs, insects, peninsula, qingdao, researcher, shandong province, shanghai, special hens, supermarket