Mens magazines sales plunge as health titles soarFebruary 16th, 2009 - 5:42 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb 16 (ANI): The popularity of mens magazines seems to be taking a downturn, for health titles have emerged as a bright spot in the latest Audit Bureau of Circulations report.
The popularity has seen a major decline in the six months to December.
Healthy Food Guide emerged as the most popular with year-on-year sales of 24 per cent.
The second spot went to HealthSmart with up to 19 per cent sales, followed by Women’’s Health with 15.3 per cent sales on the third.
Men’’s Health came third with 10.7 per cent and followed by Diabetic Living with 9.6 per cent sales at fourth.
The overall market for the six months to December 08 is exhibiting some early effects of the global economic crisis,”” the Australian quoted NDD as saying.
There is little good news in the market with so many negative results.
The health and wellbeing sub-category has emerged as the main survivor, he added.
Men’’s magazines took a massive sales hit with the sales of FHM plummeting to 24.2 per cent, followed by Ralph with 22 per cent, and Alpha with 16 per cent reduction.
Popular fashion weekly Grazias sales slipped from 70,000 copies in the September quarter to 65,000 in the December quarter.
However, Lynette Phillips, publishing and sales director of ACP women’’s lifestyle titles, said that she was pleased with its circulation.
It has flattened out to a nice figure we can work on, she said.
She predicted magazine sales had now bottomed.
We were always going to be hit in women’’s lifestyle because … that is reflective of consumer confidence, she said.
Year on year it doesn”t look good but period on period we”re really seeing it has now flattened out, she added. (ANI)
- Katrina voted FHM's sexiest woman - Jun 07, 2011
- Young women prefer career, lifestyle to family life - Sep 15, 2011
- Older men now 'more likely to hit love jackpot' - Nov 07, 2010
- More than quarter of young men, women in US are still virgins - Mar 05, 2011
- Bingo wings - a real fashion killer for Brit women - Dec 02, 2010
- Understanding people special for Cole - Jul 16, 2012
- Ruby Rose poses in steamiest ever shoot for lads' mag FHM - Dec 04, 2010
- Forget losing weight, just get yourself a pair of smoothie pants! - Jan 27, 2011
- Younger women regret one-night stands more than their older counterparts - Nov 16, 2010
- 1 in 3 Australians struggling with post-holiday blues - Jan 27, 2011
- HP posts decline of quarterly profit, sales - Feb 23, 2012
- Brit women spend more on themselves during Christmas - Dec 03, 2010
- Cheryl Cole voted 'decade's most stylish woman' - May 04, 2010
- Women 'as likely as men to enjoy casual sexual' - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Heteropolitans' dump topless babes' mags for men's health titles - Aug 14, 2009
Tags: acp, audit bureau of circulations, circulation, consumer confidence, downturn, fhm, food guide, global economic crisis, health and wellbeing, health titles, healthy food, lifestyle titles, little good news, men s health, ndd, phillips publishing, plunge, sales director, six months, survivor