Meeting Obama was proud experience for woman panchayat leader (Lead)November 9th, 2010 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) The interaction may have lasted just a few minutes, but for Sharmi Bai, a panchayat leader from Rajasthan, interacting with US President Barack Obama at St. Xavier’s College in Mumbaxi Sunday was an experience of a lifetime.
“Work that was earlier not done in five years, is now being done in five months,” she told Obama when he visited her stall at an expo held at the college.
Sharing her experience after being re-elected from Abu Road block, in Sirohi district this year after having served a term of five years, Sharmi Bai said that she was working with renewed vigour and was proud to break the myth that women cannot govern.
Sharmi Bai was invited to the stall set up by non-governmental organisation (NGO) Hunger Project.
“We were invited to highlight the critical role played by women panchayat leaders in bringing local governments closer to the people,” Rita Sarin, country director of Hunger Project, India told IANS.
“When the president visited our booth, I told him about Sharmi’s efforts in ensuring education of girl children in her panchayat,” she said, adding that Obama looked impressed on hearing Sharmi Bai’s efforts.
- Woman panchayat leader shares experience with Obama - Nov 09, 2010
- Meeting Obama was memorable experience for woman panchayat leader (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Festive mood in Rajasthan village that spoke to Obama - Nov 07, 2010
- Obama gets sneak-peek into India's citizen engagement programmes - Nov 07, 2010
- Farming, business top US global agenda for women: Envoy - Jul 22, 2011
- Obamas show how to win hearts - and do business too! - Nov 07, 2010
- Inviting platforms for extra Diwali bucks - Oct 23, 2011
- 'India making progress on women's political empowerment' - Mar 17, 2012
- Obamas swing to a Koli dance at Mumbai school (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Runaway bride awarded for revolting against lack of loo - Feb 10, 2012
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- Hillary meets victims of human trafficking in Kolkata (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Jharkhand youth sentenced to death for beheading girl (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- First Indian women's' team returns from S. Arabia with a few surprises - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani designers take back bagfuls of business - and memories - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: abu road, barack obama, country director, critical role, five months, girl children, governmental organisation, hunger project, lifetime work, local governments, myth, New Delhi, ngo, project india, rita, s college, sarin, sharmi, st xavier, vigour