Meet Salman Khan, the one man global educator on Youtube!April 26th, 2011 - 2:21 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Apr 26 (ANI): Salman Khan from California has pioneered an advanced teaching style using technology to simplify lessons on math, science, and a range of other subjects that have made him a web sensation.
It all started when Khan agreed to remotely tutor his younger cousin, Nadia, in maths over the Internet usingYahoo’s Doodle notepad.
“I thought these video lessons would be a good supplement. Nadia started improving significantly and more family wanted to see them, so I put them on YouTube. Others started to randomly access them and it just went from there,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Khan as saying.
Five years, 2000 video lessons, and 41 million views on YouTube later, Khan is on target for his mission of “providing a world-class education to anyone, anywhere” - with one faculty member.
Khan has university degrees in mathematics, computer science, electrical engineering, and an MBA from Harvard Business School - but no formal teaching qualifications.
Last year he caught the attention of Bill Gates and Google - who have provided funding, enabling Khan to leave his job as a hedge fund analyst and concentrate on the Khan Academy.
He now has a small team developing user-paced exercises “allowing the Khan Academy to become the free classroom for the world”.
The lessons on YouTube are around 10 minutes long, and cover topics in mathematics, history and the sciences.
The clips range in level, from basic adding and subtracting for young children through to university level math problems. (ANI)
- Khan academy releases their iPad app - Mar 12, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Maths graduates in India to teach British children - Sep 10, 2010
- Obama touts plan for better math and science instruction - Feb 08, 2012
- Indian American launches a virtual tutoring portal - Dec 22, 2011
- YouTube Unveils Face Blurring System - Jul 19, 2012
- You tube unveils live broadcasting service - Apr 12, 2011
- Co-founder of YouTube steps down as CEO - Oct 30, 2010
- Justin Bieber Is The Most Popular Artiste On YouTube! - Dec 14, 2010
- Michael Blake gives mathematical constant Pi a musical note - Mar 14, 2011
- 'Holding Hands With Strangers' Prank Becomes Internet Hit - Jun 14, 2012
- YouTube marks fifth birthday by announcing two billion views per day - May 19, 2010
- Bieber, Gaga become copyright victim - Aug 31, 2011
- Gay elements to be taught to four-year-olds in Britain - Jan 26, 2011
- We are born good or bad at maths - Aug 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,