Mediterranean diet during pregnancy protects against childhood asthma, allergyJanuary 15th, 2008 - 10:35 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Jan 15(ANI): A high quality Mediterranean diet during pregnancy can help in putting off the risk of asthma and allergy in children.
A study examined 468 mother and child pairs, who were followed up from pregnancy up to 6.5 years after the birth.
The mothers were then asked to complete food frequency questionnaires w here they were asked about their dietary intake during pregnancy and what their children were eating by the time they were 6 years old. They also provided details of their childrens respiratory and allergic symptoms, and those with persistent wheezing and allergic reactions.
Around 13 pct children had persistent wheezing, while 17 pct responded positively to skin test allergens and 6pct had asthma-like symptoms plus positive skin test results.
One in every three mothers ate a low quality Mediterranean diet during pregnancy while the rest ate a high quality diet.
It was found that childrens diet at the age of 6.5 years had a little impact on their risks of asthmatic symptoms or allergy.
Those who closely followed the traditional Mediterranean diet of vegetables, legumes, fruits, nuts, fish, dairy products and olive oil were significantly more likely to have children free of asthmatic symptoms and allergies than those who ate a low quality Mediterranean diet.
The diet consisting vegetables more than eight times a week, fish more than three times a week, and legumes more than once a week, seemed more protective than the other. (ANI)
- Mediterranean diet cuts asthma risk in kids - Jun 03, 2010
- Burger diet ups kids' asthma risk - Jun 03, 2010
- Nuts during pregnancy can reduce asthma risk for kids - Aug 30, 2012
- Caesarean babies have higher risk of asthma - Jan 11, 2012
- Paracetamol doubles risk of asthma in kids - Nov 30, 2010
- Beware: A kiss could trigger allergic reaction - Nov 21, 2010
- Cell component that triggers cat allergy identified - Mar 10, 2011
- First-born more likely to suffer from allergies - Mar 21, 2011
- Intake of folic acid supplements in late pregnancy could cause asthma in kids - Nov 04, 2009
- Omalizumab 'cuts seasonal asthma attacks in youth' - Mar 17, 2011
- Poor Vit D levels in newborns up risk of respiratory infections - Dec 27, 2010
- Prenatal exposure to chemical in plastic linked to wheezing in kids - May 02, 2011
- Asthmatic kids experience premature loss of lung function later in life - Jan 19, 2011
- Breast-feeding babies staves off asthma risk - Jul 22, 2011
- Study: Peanuts should be avoided during Pregnancy - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: 6 years, allergens, allergic reactions, allergic symptoms, asthma, asthma allergy, asthmatic symptoms, childhood asthma, dairy products, dietary intake, eight times, food frequency questionnaires, mother and child, olive oil, pct, quality diet, skin test, test results, traditional mediterranean diet, vegetables