Medicos asked to vacate hostel for feeding stray dogsJune 23rd, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 23 (IANS) Women post-graduate students of the Motilal Nehru Medical College in Allahabad were Tuesday ordered to vacate their hostel after the administration found them feeding stray dogs in the compound.
The hostel administration claimed that the step was taken after the hostel residents - post-graduate students of pathology - refused to stop feeding the dogs that have bitten over a dozen children in the compound in the past few days.
“The girls fed biscuits to the dogs regularly, after which the dogs started dwelling permanently in the verandahs of the hostel. In the past few days, they have bitten nearly a dozen small children of the hostel staff,” Neera Kasturi, assistant warden of the hostel, told IANS by phone.
The girls were asked to stop feeding the dogs and on their refusal, the administration took this step, she added.
However, the students disputed the warden’s version.
“We only fed small puppies with the left-over food and that too outside the hostel campus. If the college is so concerned, it should post guards in and around the compound to stop the dogs from entering the campus,” Meghna, a student, said.
Volunteers of the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) also reached the hostel to support the residents.
“There in nothing wrong in feeding stray animals. The college administration should have done a proper enquiry before issuing such an order,” Samaj Shekhar, the district coordinator of PETA, told reporters.
- Pets run loose as Chinese hostelers abandon them - May 27, 2011
- No experiments on animals in colleges: Environment ministry - Apr 18, 2012
- St Xavier's to hold admission test in Beijing - Jun 03, 2011
- New guidelines to bar animal dissection in varsities - Nov 23, 2011
- Hundred dog bites a day and counting in Srinagar - Apr 11, 2012
- Screen 'Kitty Porn' in Karnataka assembly, says PETA - Feb 27, 2012
- Srinagar's 'dogged' problem giving nightmares - Feb 13, 2011
- Mad dog bites foreign tourists at Fatehpur Sikri - Mar 24, 2011
- EThames Graduate School launches India campus - Feb 08, 2011
- Girl student dies; father alleges ragging - Sep 10, 2011
- SC notice on vacant post-graduate medical seats - Jun 21, 2012
- President Patil to lay foundation of IGNOU campus - Aug 30, 2011
- Lack of innocence in Hindi films worries Juhi (Movie Snippets) - Jul 19, 2012
- Police prevent novel anti-stray dogs protest in Srinagar - Jul 11, 2012
- Apex court warns private medical colleges against lapses - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: allahabad, assistant warden, biscuits, college administration, district coordinator, enquiry, ethical treatment of animals, graduate students, hostel, june 23, medical college, motilal nehru, pathology, people for ethical treatment of animals, puppies, samaj, stray animals, stray dogs, treatment of animals, verandahs