Mechanism behind sex determination in fruit flies identifiedDecember 27th, 2007 - 1:54 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Dec 27 (ANI): Researchers at the Texas A&M University have identified the mechanism behind sex determination in fruit flies.
The study, led by James Erickson and Jerome Quintero at the university, studied fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster to reach their conclusions.
In mammals, male or female development depends on the presence of the Y chromosome, which is only found in males because it includes masculinizing genes.
However, other animal groups have evolved different systems.
Previous studies in the fly have suggested that it was the ratio of X chromosomes, the female chromosome, of which there are two copies in a female fly, and just one in a male, to the non-sex chromosomes, the autosomes, that determined the sex of a fly embryo.
However, the latest study has indicated that rather than being dependent on the ratio, it is the number of X chromosomes that is important.
Sex is determined during a very specific and short stage in embryo development, and only two X chromosomes can produce enough of a signal to feminize the embryo during this window of opportunity.
The study has been published online in the open-access journal PLoS Biology. (ANI)
- Study could lead to new ways of curtailing reproduction in harmful insects - Feb 27, 2011
- Beautiful females must smell and taste like ones too to bag a date - Nov 24, 2010
- New protein complex that regulates around 4000 genes in fruit fly identified - Jun 26, 2010
- Male animals can 'smell' whether a potential partner is a virgin or not - Feb 13, 2011
- In fruit flies, some cells can't tell whether they are males or females - May 05, 2010
- New find: brain tumours in fruit fly mimic genetic program of germline cells - Dec 25, 2010
- Absent pheromones turn fruit flies into irresistible 'Marilyn Monroes'! - Oct 15, 2009
- Fly poo may reveal why pregnant women suffer from bloating, constipation - Jan 05, 2011
- Brain gene responsible for making a female develop as a male identified - Dec 23, 2010
- Gene alteration turns male embryos into female, shows study - Dec 07, 2010
- Male sex chromosome facing extinction due to rapid evolution - Jul 17, 2009
- Male sex chromosome on way to extinction - Jul 17, 2009
- Chemistry of mosquito sex could be key to controlling dengue fever - Mar 20, 2011
- Why some insects can survive freezing, while others cannot - Dec 20, 2009
- Fly sperm force females to do housework post sex - Nov 28, 2009
Tags: sex determination