‘Mayan texts doesn’t predict end of world in 2012′July 8th, 2010 - 3:28 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, July 8 (IANS/EFE) None of the roughly 15,000 existing ancient Mayan texts state that cataclysmic events will occur in 2012. Those predictions of impending doom are instead contained in esoteric writings from the 1970s, said a Mexican expert.
Only two Mayan glyphs contain inscriptions referring to 2012, but only as the end of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar, said Carlos Pallan, director of the National Institute of Anthropology and History’s Maya Hieroglyphic and Iconographic Archive.
When that cycle is completed, some modern prophets predict that an alignment between the December solstice sun with the equator of our galaxy, the Milky Way, on Dec 21, 2012 will disrupt the cosmic balance.
They say it will cause the sun to “give off a large amount of particles and the magnetic axis of the Earth will be altered and the consequences will be disastrous,” Pallan said.
“But those apocalyptic predictions about the end of human civilization Dec 21, 2012 appeared in esoteric publications in the 1970s,” he said in a statement Tuesday.
The Mayans “never said the world is going to end … they never thought that time would end in our era”, Pallan said, adding that they concerned themselves with performing rituals which in some way would guarantee that the cycle to come would be favourable.
- Hotels get booked for end of Mayan era events - Aug 28, 2012
- Will the world end Dec 21? - Jun 30, 2012
- Oldest-known Mayan calendar found - May 11, 2012
- Mayans did not predict end of world in 2012: expert - Apr 12, 2010
- Advanced technique being used to decipher Maya glyphs - May 31, 2010
- Nobel laureate trashes 2012 Doomsday prediction - Jan 04, 2010
- History Channel Aired The Show "Apocalypse Island" On Sunday - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Mayan text on world's end is about political history' - Jun 29, 2012
- Unidentified metal from space startles Brazilians - Feb 25, 2012
- Scientists debunk six 2012 end-of-the-world myths - Nov 07, 2009
- Mayan doomsday prophecy not true: British expert - Dec 02, 2011
- 2,000-year-old palace discovered in Mexico - Sep 02, 2011
- 'Oldest Mayan calendar offers no hint of world's end' - May 11, 2012
- Track record of ancient apocalyptic prophecies quashes gravity of 2012 prediction - Nov 07, 2009
- Camera locates tomb not seen for 1,500 years - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: anthropology, apocalyptic predictions, cataclysmic events, cosmic balance, dec 21 2012, equator, esoteric writings, human civilization, impending doom, magnetic axis, maya hieroglyphic, mayan glyphs, mayans, mexico city, milky way, prophets, rituals, snb, solstice, solstice sun