Masturbation may be the best treatment for nasal congestionApril 1st, 2009 - 11:52 am ICT by ANI
London, April 1 (ANI): Masturbating or having sex may help men suffering from hay fever clear those bunged noses, say scientists.
Sina Zarrintan, a neurologist from the Tabriz Medical University in Iran, says that the logic behind this proposition is based on the fact that the nose and the genitals are both connected to the same part of the nervous system that controls certain reflexes - the sympathetic nervous system.
The researcher points out that swollen and inflamed nasal blood vessels, irritated either by an infection or by pollen in the air, generally lead to blocked nose.
Zarrintan reckons that a well-timed ejaculation, during which the sympathetic nervous system constricts blood vessels across the body, should soothe the swollen nasal blood vessels and, thereby, free the airway for normal breathing.
Although no clinical trials have been performed to test Zarrintan’s hypothesis, he believes that it may have many benefits over decongestant drugs if proved to work.
He highlights the fact that decongestant have been known to contribute to hypertension.
“Furthermore, if used for more than two or three days, they can actually make congestion worse,” New Scientist magazine quoted him as saying.
He recommends masturbating or having sex whenever the symptoms are bad enough to warrant another ejaculation.
“It can be done (from) time-to-time to alleviate the congestion and the patient can adjust the number of intercourses or masturbations depending on the severity of the symptoms,” he said.
A research article on Zarrintan’s suggestion has been published in the journal Medical Hypotheses. (ANI)
- Sex, masturbation may be best bet to ease pesky hay fever symptoms - Apr 06, 2009
- Myths related to spring allergies busted - Feb 27, 2011
- Humidity aggravates nasal congestion - Oct 17, 2011
- Study links adrenal gland hormone to brain hypertension - Nov 10, 2010
- The hour-by-hour guide of combating a cold before it takes a toll on you! - Dec 20, 2010
- Hay fever worse in spring than summer - Jan 01, 2012
- Pine bark extract naturally reduces hay fever symptoms - Jun 24, 2010
- Nasal congestion 'can be a sign of severe asthma' - Dec 21, 2010
- Ed Miliband to have nose surgery for better voice - Apr 22, 2011
- Masturbation can ease restless leg syndrome - Apr 01, 2011
- Meet the man who goes temporarily blind every time he has sex - Nov 30, 2010
- Soon, nose drops to treat brain cancer - Sep 23, 2010
- Iraqi boy overcomes rare vein disorder in Delhi - Dec 14, 2010
- Women with heart disease likely to have girls: Iran study - Apr 22, 2012
- 1 in 100 men may have an allergy to their own semen - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: blood vessels, ejaculation, genitals, having sex, hay fever, hypertension, intercourses, journal medical, masturbating, masturbations, medical hypotheses, medical university, nasal congestion, neurologist, new scientist magazine, noses, reflexes, research article, sympathetic nervous system, tabriz