Masturbation can ease restless leg syndromeApril 1st, 2011 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 1 (ANI): A study has suggested that masturbation can be beneficial clinically, as it can help give relief from restless leg syndrome (RLS).
Around 7 to 10 percent of people in the US and Europe suffer from RLS, which is a distressing neurologic disorder characterised by an urge to move the legs, New Scientist reported.
Those suffering from it usually feel unpleasant sensations in the lower limbs such as tingling, aching and itching.
The exact cause for RSL has not been identified, but brain autopsies and imaging studies suggest one contributing factor is an imbalance of dopamine, a hormone.
Though drugs that increase dopamine reduces RLS when taken at bedtime, a 41-year-old man with the condition, found complete relief after masturbation or sex.
The authors of the report, Luis Marin and colleagues at the Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, speculate that the release of orgasm-related dopamine might play a role in the alleviation of symptoms.
An orgasm provides one of the biggest natural blasts of dopamine available to us.
When Gert Holstege at the University of Groningen, the Netherlands, and colleagues scanned the brains of ejaculating men, he said the resulting images resembled scans of heroin rushes.
This temporary increase in dopamine may act in a similar way to drugs that mimic the hormone, granting the man in question enough relief from his restless legs to allow him a full night’s sleep.
The findings have been reported in Sleep Science. (ANI)
- Parkinson's drug effective in treating restless leg syndrome - Dec 07, 2010
- Restless legs, high BP among women linked - Oct 11, 2011
- Fibromyalgia linked to restless legs syndrome - Oct 16, 2010
- Restless legs syndrome more prevalent in non-African-American women - Nov 03, 2009
- Restless legs? There could be brain malfunction - Nov 18, 2011
- Erectile dysfunction 'more common in older men with restless leg syndrome' - Jan 01, 2010
- Sleep disorder could lead to Parkinson's disease - Jul 31, 2011
- Erectile dysfunction wired to restless leg syndrome - Jan 01, 2010
- The mere sight, smell of food hikes dopamine levels in binge eaters - Mar 01, 2011
- Is sex addiction really a disease or just a convenient excuse? - Feb 25, 2011
- Technique to visualize 'your brain on drugs' developed - Apr 27, 2010
- Brain's dopamine drives our hunger for stimulation - Feb 02, 2010
- Big belly, obesity raise 'restless legs syndrome' risk - Apr 07, 2009
- Scientists discover 'clock protein' that regulates circadian rhythms - Oct 21, 2010
- Why men don't want to chat after sex? - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: alleviation, autopsies, bedtime, blasts, characterised, exact cause, heroin, increase dopamine, leg syndrome rls, man in question, neurologic disorder, new scientist, restless leg syndrome, restless leg syndrome rls, restless legs, rsl, sao paulo brazil, university of groningen, university of groningen the netherlands, unpleasant sensations