Mash, pie await you at Olympic food villageMay 31st, 2012 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 31 (IANS) Now get ready for a gastronomic extravaganza at the London Olympics this summer. From salads and seafood to classic favourites like fish and chips and pie and mash — over a hundred tasty dishes are set to bowl you over.
Over 14 million meals will be served during the Olympics July 27 to Aug 12 in the world’s largest peace-time catering operation, the organisers said.
The London 2012 Olympic Organising Committee (LOCOG) has revealed details of food and drinks that will be served to millions of spectators and thousands of athletes across 40 locations, Xinhua reported Thursday.
Over 800 spectator concessions featuring more than 150 different types of dishes will showcase the great diversity and quality of British food, with a focus on affordability.
The food will fit into two main themes: British food and international food.
The first theme will celebrate the heritage and diversity of British products and recipes, while the international food will see recipes from every continent at the Games, from authentic Asian dishes and Caribbean flavours to tasty Mediterranean dishes.
The LOCOG is also responsible for feeding more than 15,000 athletes across the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, with a total of 1.2 million meals set to be served, including 1,300 different types of dishes.
A variety of guidelines ensuring that food is sustainably and ethically sourced will help the Games leave a strong food legacy.
The main dining room seats over 5,000 athletes and consists of different zones catering various dishes for British, European, Mediterranean, African and Caribbean visitors.
London 2012 is aiming to become the first ever Zero Waste Games, with an emphasis on improved packaging and recycling as part of its sustainability commitments.
- Thought for food (Olympic diary) - Aug 03, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- London Olympics likely to be under budget - Feb 29, 2012
- London Olympics organisers and BOA embroiled in cash row - Mar 10, 2011
- Olympics: British PM announces more cash for athletes - Aug 13, 2012
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- London Olympics uniforms unveiled - Nov 23, 2011
- Support for Games offers promise of social legacy for UK - Aug 12, 2012
- London Olympic contingency tickets to go on sale - May 09, 2012
- London Olympic tickets unveiled - May 22, 2012
- Giant Olympic Rings unveiled at Channel Tunnel - Dec 21, 2011
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- London 2012 committee unveils Olympic and Paralympic posters - Nov 05, 2011
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: affordability, asian dishes, british food, caribbean flavours, fish and chips, international food, locog, london 2012, london olympics, main dining room, main themes, mediterranean dishes, olympic games, olympic organising committee, paralympic games, peace time, pie and mash, tasty dishes, xinhua, zero waste