Mars rover Spirit recovers after mysterious bout of amnesiaFebruary 4th, 2009 - 12:43 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 4 (ANI): The Mars rover Spirit has recovered after suffering from a mysterious bout of amnesia, and is driving again this week.
Spirits controllers are still not sure what happened to the rover on January 25, when the craft did not perform the days instructions, which included a short drive.
According to a report in New Scientist, the rover also seemed to suffer amnesia, as it failed to record its activities in its non-volatile memory, which is used to store data when the rover is powered down.
There is no explanation for the behaviour, but Spirit has since performed normally.
At this time, we dont know whether the problem was a one-time event - whether it was induced by a cosmic ray - or whether it might be an indicator of ageing hardware, said project manager John Callas of NASAs Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.
Were staying vigilant and keeping an eye out, but right now Spirits back to where she was, he added.
The team originally suspected the craft might not have moved because it was confused about its location, so on January 27, the team commanded the rover to orient itself by finding the Sun using just its panoramic camera.
Spirit pinpointed the Sun, but it was several degrees away from where the rover expected to find it.
The team tracked down the source of the misalignment to a slight offset in the rovers accelerometers, which are supposed to align with Marss gravity.
But, the offset does not explain why the rover did not move, and it is not clear how long the rover has operated with the accelerometer glitch.
The last time Spirit performed the Sun-finding exercise blind - with just the camera to guide it and no assumptions about its orientation - was in 2004, Callas told New Scientist. (ANI)
- Mars Rover team diagnosing unexpected behavior - Jan 29, 2009
- NASA's Spirit Mars Rover may not call home - Jul 31, 2010
- NASA completes `brain transplant' on Curiosity rover - Aug 15, 2012
- Curiosity makes maiden move on Mars - Aug 23, 2012
- Second stalled wheel spells doom for NASA's Mars rover - Dec 09, 2009
- NASA's Mars rover 'Spirit' 'feared lost forever after it passes a yr in silence' - Mar 30, 2011
- Curiosity rover to test wheels, fire rock-shooting laser - Aug 18, 2012
- Mars exploration rover Spirit resumes driving - Apr 25, 2009
- 'Stuck' Martian rover learns about Red Planet's ecological history - Jun 26, 2009
- NASAs Mars rover Opportunity catches first glimpse of distant destination - Mar 19, 2009
- Trapped NASA Mars Rover finds more evidence of water on 'Red Planet' - Oct 29, 2010
- NASA's Mars rover Spirit begins new chapter - Jan 30, 2010
- Soft soil puts NASA's Spirit in danger on Mars - May 12, 2009
- New Mars movie reveals red planet's blue sunset - Dec 23, 2010
- Mars rover Spirit recovering after hazardous dust storm - Nov 15, 2008
Tags: accelerometer, accelerometers, amnesia, assumptions, callas, cosmic ray, finding the sun, glitch, gravity, january 27, jet propulsion laboratory, london feb, mars rover spirit, misalignment, new scientist, non volatile memory, panoramic camera, pasadena california, time event, time spirit