Man’s best friend to turn saviour of endangered giant pandas in ChinaDecember 27th, 2007 - 4:56 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, December 27 (ANI): While a dog is said to be mans best friend, it may soon turn a saviour of endangered giant pandas also, says an expert.
Zhang Hemin, chief of the reserve’s administrative bureau at the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda in the Wolong Nature Reserve, has revealed the centres plans introduce a specially trained police dog to live with four pandas.
The idea is to make pandas observe the dog and learn how to defend themselves, thereby increasing their chances of survival in forests.
Earlier this year, the first giant panda released into the wild, Xiang Xiang, was found dead. Experts believe that it might have been killed by other animals.
“That’s why we have to give captive-bred pandas better survival training, especially in combat and defensive skills Although sad, Xiang Xiang’s case is an experience, and will help us plan the phase II of the reintroduction better,” the China Daily quoted the centres senior vet Tang Chunxiang as saying.
Zhang says that the centre has now submitted a report on phase II of reintroducing pandas into the wild to the State Forestry Administration. The report is expected to get the nod in January or February. (ANI)
- China releases pregnant pandas into the wild - Jul 26, 2010
- China's 'spoilt' pandas - Jun 18, 2011
- China creates special hospital for pandas - May 05, 2011
- Panda still endangered despite baby boom - Sep 03, 2010
- Endangered Chinese alligators' population rising - Apr 19, 2012
- Artificial insemination planned for mainland's giant panda in Taiwan - Feb 11, 2011
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- Panda twins born in China - Jul 11, 2012
- 300 pandas raised in critical breeding breakthrough in China - Dec 06, 2010
- Chinese held for poaching panda 17 years ago - Feb 10, 2012
- China loans two pandas to Canada - Feb 12, 2012
- China to construct new panda breeding base in Sichuan - Apr 19, 2009
- China starts panda census - Jun 28, 2011
- Pandas sent to the wild in China - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: administrative bureau, china daily, endangered giant pandas, forests, giant panda, giant pandas, giant pandas in china, hemin, New Delhi, nod, panda, pandas, phase ii, police dog, saviour, state forestry administration, survival training, tang, wolong nature reserve, xiang xiang