Man repays debt of neighbours’ kindness with shoesFebruary 21st, 2012 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 21 (IANS) A man in southwest China has prepared nearly 400 pairs of cloth shoes as a token of gratitude for his neighbours who once helped his parents decades ago in saving his life as a child, a business daily reported Tuesday.
The 51-year-old Tan Kecheng, who suffers from infantile paralysis, has been preparing the shoes for the last 10 years in Chongqing city, the China Daily reported citing Chongqing Business Daily.
Tan developed high fever when he was just two years old. His parents had no choice other than keeping him at home as they could not afford to take him to any hospital.
A visiting neighbour learned of Tan’s situation three days later and mobilised other residents in the area to donate money for Tan’s treatment. It helped Tan’s family to hospitalise him.
Tan survived but was left with infantile paralysis, a viral disease that can affect nerves and can lead to partial or full paralysis.
As Tan’s mother always told him to remember their neighbours’ kindness, he started making cloth shoes for his neighbours 10 years ago to show his feeling of gratitude towards them.
Today, to prepare shoes, Tan goes out with his walking stick to collect materials, such as used clothes and abandoned tires, as his only income is the social subsidy of 600 yuan ($95) a month. It takes him about a week to make a pair of cloth-based pair of shoes.
So far, Tan has prepared 400 pairs as token of his gratitude to the neighbours.
- She found this boyfriend a mama's boy! - Nov 25, 2011
- Mexico's imports of Chinese-made shoes surge - Mar 16, 2012
- Almost every woman has 11 pairs of shoes she'll never wear - May 02, 2011
- Man attempts Guinness record with 300 kg shoes on - Aug 10, 2012
- Chinese man builds castle to win back estranged wife - Jul 30, 2010
- China orders internet whitewash amid coup rumours - Mar 23, 2012
- Bogu Kailai sentenced to death with reprieve - Aug 20, 2012
- Chinese walker wins Sri Lankan hearts - Jun 12, 2012
- Pakistani teenager immolates himself - Mar 31, 2012
- Finnair starts service to western China city of Chongqing - May 17, 2012
- Chinese man to sue for son's paralysis - Apr 05, 2012
- Splitsville for fast couple - Aug 31, 2012
- Meet a true lover - Nov 20, 2009
- Boy beaten for 30 minutes after he stole to play video games - Aug 16, 2011
- Scissors removed from Chinese kid's head - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: 10 years, beijing, china daily, chongqing city, cloth shoes, decades, gratitude towards, high fever, infantile paralysis, kindness, neighbour, neighbours, nerves, pairs, southwest china, subsidy, token, viral disease, walking stick, yuan