Man finds fossilised timber used by Chinese royal familiesJuly 10th, 2012 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 10 (IANS) A villager in China has excavated a huge log of rare, semi-fossilised wood that was once a prized possession in ancient China and used only by royal families and temples.
Wu Gaoliang from southwestern Sichuan province found a 34-metre-long trunk of Phoebe zhennan wood weighing six tonnes. However, the local government took it from him saying that objects without an owner and buried in the ground belong to the state, the Shanghai Daily reported.
The timber was worth an estimated 20 million yuan (over $3 million), but the government gave him just 70,000 yuan as a reward.
Wu, resident of Pengzhou city’s Tongji town, has decided to sue the government for “seizing” the wood he found in his contracted field.
He accused the government of abusing power, saying the authorities should have obtained court approval to take possession of the timber.
He had spent 200,000 yuan unearthing the timber, and demanded the government to pay him a reward of four million yuan or return the timber.
The chief head of the city museum said the timber was seized as it could hold information on the ancient climate and environment.
- 1,900 held in China fake drug racket - Aug 05, 2012
- Hailstorms in China leave 29 dead, devastate homes - Apr 22, 2012
- China fossil site in World Heritage list - Jul 02, 2012
- China unveils list of top 500 companies - Sep 04, 2011
- Chinese ancient liquor breweries eye heritage list - Jul 11, 2012
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- 140-150 mn-year-old dinosaur footprints found in Beijing - Jan 09, 2012
- Thief's diary writing habit costs him - Aug 03, 2012
- Over 1.5 mn people affected in China floods - Jul 15, 2011
- China allocates $19 mn to fight drought - Feb 22, 2012
- Chinese businesswoman's death sentence upheld - Jan 18, 2012
- Two get death penalty for selling 46 infants - Sep 28, 2010
- Tibetan tea museum to open in Lhasa - Sep 02, 2011
- 14 dead in China floods - Sep 20, 2011
- China creates special hospital for pandas - May 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,