Man crosses English Channel using helium balloonsMay 28th, 2010 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 28 (IANS) An American man created history Friday by becoming the first to cross the English Channel using only helium-filled balloons.
Jonathan Trappe, 36, set off from Kent Gliding Club in Challock, near Ashford in Kent, and took about three hours to float across the English Channel to Dunkirk, France.
Trappe, who is a trained pilot, cut away a few balloons to descend, and eventually landed in a cabbage field.
“Wasn’t it everybody’s dream? I mean, didn’t you have this dream - grabbing onto a bunch of toy balloons and floating off? Now we’ve done it. Not only have we done it, we’ve done it over the English Channel,” Trappe was quoted as saying by Sky News.
Describing his trip, Trappe said: “Right over the white cliffs of Dover in complete silence. It was tremendously peaceful, tremendously beautiful. It was just an exceptionally quiet, peaceful experience.”
There was, however, the risk of dying if he came down into the water or even hit power lines during his descent over France.
“There are risks and we work to reduce the risks so we can have a safe and fun flight. Because, really, it’s only about dreams and enjoying an adventure and that’s only enjoyable when it is safe,” Trappe said.
- Jonathan Trappe crossed the English Channel with the help of Helium Balloons - May 30, 2010
- Crossing English Channel With The Aid OF Helium Balloons - May 30, 2010
- Man Crosses English Channel In Helium Balloon - May 30, 2010
- Scientists recreate floating house from movie 'Up!' - Mar 08, 2011
- Helium wasted on party balloons: Experts - Mar 22, 2012
- World's oldest sea-going boat to sail again - Mar 06, 2012
- Island sculpture goes missing at Secret Garden party - Aug 04, 2011
- 'Mysterious floating objects' in NYC were birthday balloons, not UFOs - Oct 15, 2010
- French scupper Dunkirk-style effort to bring home Britons - Apr 19, 2010
- Flying shark stuns NZ pilot - Jan 04, 2012
- British siblings reunite after 35 years - Mar 26, 2011
- Lost siblings reunite after 35 years via dating website! - Mar 26, 2011
- Our helium reserves to run out in 25 years - Aug 24, 2010
- Man,70, crosses English Channel in just 18 hours - Aug 31, 2011
- Tiny paper plane soars at 90,000 feet in space - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: american man, ashford, cabbage field, dreams, dunkirk, helium balloons, jonathan, kent gliding club, london, peaceful experience, pilot, risk, silence, sky news, toy balloons, trappe, white cliffs of dover