Male skeleton in Greek tomb may be of Alexander the Great’s fatherSeptember 16th, 2010 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sep 16 (ANI): New research has revealed that a cremated male skeleton in a lavish ancient Greek tomb is not Alexander the Great’s half-witted half-brother.
The research reignites a 33-year-long debate over whether the burned bones found in the tomb belong to Alexander the Great’s father, Philip II, a powerful figure whose years of conquest set the stage for his son’s exploits, or Alexander the Great’s half-brother, Philip III, a figurehead king with a less successful reign.
The researchers argue that a notch in the dead man’s eye socket is consistent with a battle wound received by Philip II years before he died, when an arrow pierced his eye and left his face disfigured, reports Live Science.
They also dispute claims by other scientists that the bones show signs of having been buried, exhumed, burned and re-interred - a morbid chain of events that would fit with what is known about the murder and burial of Alexander the Great’s half-brother and successor, Philip III Arrhidaios.
The study is unlikely to settle the debate over whether the body is Philip II’s or Philip III’s, which has raged since the treasure-filled tomb was excavated in 1977. But identifying the tombs’ occupants would complete the last chapter in at least one royal couple’s sordid life story. (ANI)
- Was Alexander the Great's half-brother buried at Vergina? - Sep 09, 2010
- Giuseppe Garibaldi's body to be exhumed - Jul 27, 2012
- Westminster Abbey adds another page to its history - Apr 29, 2011
- Tomb of King Tut's wife may emerge in 2011 - Jan 04, 2011
- Russian diplomat wants Prince Harry to be Tsar of vacant throne - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan condemns killing of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 12, 2011
- World Cup 2010 a family affair - Jun 11, 2010
- Royal artifacts in ancient Greek tomb belong to Alexander the Great - Apr 24, 2008
- Apostle St. Philip's tomb found in Turkey - Jul 27, 2011
- Rihanna has three more siblings - Apr 17, 2011
- Dead woman married twice in China - Feb 22, 2012
- Even facial bones show signs of aging - Jan 04, 2011
- Of Humayun's opium addiction, intrigues and treason (IANS Book Review) - May 15, 2010
- US hands over Saddam's two half-brothers to Iraq - Jul 15, 2011
- Thousands attend funeral of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: alexander, alexander the great, arrow, bones, brother philip, conquest, dead man, dispute claims, exploits, eye socket, father philip, half brother, notch, occupants, philip ii, philip iii, royal couple, skeleton, sordid life, tombs