Mahmoud Abbas to arrive in India todayOctober 6th, 2008 - 9:56 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 6 (ANI): Palestinian National Authority President Mahmoud Abbas will arrive in India on a four-day visit today.
Abbas is likely to discuss the issues related to West Asia peace process with Indian leaders during his visit. He will also discuss how to further strengthen contacts between India and Palestine.
The Palestinian leader is also expected to apprise Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, and other leaders about the latest developments in the region.
President Abbas is scheduled to meet President Pratibha Patil, Vice-President Hamid Ansari, United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Leader of the Opposition L.K. Advani and other leaders.
Besides, Abbas will also lay the foundation stone of the Chancery-cum-Residence complex of the Embassy of Palestine, being built as a gift of the government and people of India in the diplomatic enclave of Chanakyapuri in New Delhi.
Mohmoud Edwan, spokesman of President Abbas, said that the visit would strengthen the historical ties between Palestine and India.
Officials at the Palestinian Presidency said India, which has been a steadfast supporter of the Palestinian cause, has helped Palestine in various fields and it is likely to take up projects in the Palestinians areas.
Besides, the official said, it also sponsors studies of several Palestinian students in its country, especially technical education. This will have a very positive impact on the lives of ordinary Palestinians, they added.
This will be his second visit to India. Earlier, he first visited India in May 2005. (ANI)
- Peace in West Asia to dominate India-Palestine talks on Monday - Oct 05, 2008
- Palestinian Authority President to meet PM today - Oct 07, 2008
- India to gift embassy building to Palestine - Oct 05, 2008
- Palestinian president arrives Monday on state visit - Sep 10, 2012
- India gifts embassy to Palestine, pledge $20 million aid - Oct 07, 2008
- Palestine leader heads to India next week (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Palestine Authority President meets PM - Oct 07, 2008
- India to host Palestinian leader next week - Sep 07, 2012
- India committed to Palestinian cause: President - Sep 12, 2012
- India pledges $10 mn for Palestine - Sep 11, 2012
- India gifts embassy to Palestinian Authority, pledges 20 million dollar grant - Oct 07, 2008
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian President meets his President Pratibha Patil - Oct 08, 2008
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: authority president mahmoud abbas, chanakyapuri, diplomatic enclave, dr manmohan singh, hamid ansari, india today, indian leaders, l k advani, leader of the opposition, mahmoud abbas, manmohan singh, palestinian cause, palestinian national authority, palestinian students, president mahmoud abbas, president pratibha patil, progressive alliance, residence complex, sonia gandhi, west asia