Mahesh Bhatt hails Mamata for minority welfareJuly 15th, 2012 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 15 (IANS) Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt has hailed West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for activating government programmes for the minorities in the state as per the suggestions given by Justice Rajinder Sachar, who has submitted a report on the socio-economic status of the Muslims.
“I learnt that Sachar saheb (Justice Rajinder Singh Sachar) came here and presented a document on the conditions of Muslims in the state,” Bhatt said at an event organised by an Urdu newspaper ‘Sarparast’ here Saturday evening.
“I congratulate Mamataji for urging Sachar sahab to come to the state and for listening to him,” he said.
The ace filmmaker lauded Banerjee, also the Trinamool Congress supremo, for taking measures according to the suggestions given by Sachar.
“Today I came to know that all the programmes were activated in the state according to the suggestions of (Sachar) for the welfare of Muslims,” he said.
Just after taking charge as the chief minister, May last year, Banerjee had announced that she would meet Sachar, the author of the Sachar Committee report, to discuss ways to uplift the status of Muslim population in Bengal.
Sachar had also met Banerjee in Kolkata July last year.
- Will follow Sachar's advice on minority welfare: Mamata - Jul 30, 2011
- Urdu medium schools for Muslims in UP - Apr 02, 2012
- Will review cases of all political prisoners: Mamata - May 20, 2011
- Sachar committee member demands creation of Indian Waqf Service - Jul 11, 2011
- Will probe Left's mass killings: Mamata - Feb 20, 2011
- Is Mamata wooing Muslims with panchayat polls in mind? (West Bengal Newsletter) - May 06, 2012
- West Bengal's Left Front woos Muslims, women - Feb 14, 2011
- Ahead of polls, advisory panel pushes for Muslims' welfare - Jan 01, 2012
- Government files documents on minority sub-quota plea - Jun 12, 2012
- BJP questions Mamata silence on graft, Ramdev - Jun 15, 2011
- Time for regime change in Bengal, says PM (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Mamata takes over Bengal reins, walks history road (Intro Roundup) - May 21, 2011
- Schemes changing situation of minorities: PM - Dec 29, 2011
- MIM wants immediate steps for reservations for Muslims - Sep 25, 2011
- Where will Bengal's Muslim votes go? - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: ace, chief minister, mamata banerjee, measures, minorities, minority welfare, muslim population, muslims, rajinder singh, sachar committee report, sahab, saheb, saturday evening, socio economic status, trinamool congress, uplift, urdu newspaper, west bengal