Maharashtra celebrates Ambedkar’s birth anniversaryApril 14th, 2012 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 14 (IANS) Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Saturday led celebrations in the state on the 121st birth anniversary of Bhimrao R. Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian constitution.
Chavan visited the Ambedkar Memorial at Shivaji Park and offered floral tributes to a statue of the great leader, who was revered as the ‘Champion of the Masses’ and was fondly known as Babasaheb.
Chavan was joined by deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar, state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, Shiv Sena leader Subhash Desai and many others.
Similar functions were held around the state, including Nagpur, Nashik and Pune.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation will host a special Ambedkar Jayanti function, while several Dalit political parties, Dalit NGOs and are conducting different events in the city Saturday.
Major functions are also slated during the day in Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Yeola near Nashik and other parts of the state to celebrate Ambedkar’s birth anniversary.
Ambedkar was born April 14, 1891 in Madhya Pradesh, to a family of Marathi origin from Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. He worked in Baroda after his education in Mumbai, UK and the US.
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Polls in BMC, 9 other municipal corporations Feb 16 - Jan 03, 2012
- High voltage Maharashtra municipal poll campaign ends - Feb 14, 2012
- 45 percent voting in Mumbai civic polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Mixed trends in Maharashtra civic poll count - Feb 17, 2012
- Mumbai to provide housing to poor at reasonable rates - Oct 02, 2010
- Polls in BMC, 9 other municipal corporations Feb 16 (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Raj Thackeray admits dilemma over picking candidates - Jan 27, 2012
- Count all civic polls votes same day: Maharashtra opposition - Jan 03, 2012
- Election expenses for Maharashtra civic polls hiked - Jan 04, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress ties up with Dalit party - Jan 29, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP on top in Thane - Feb 17, 2012
- Congress, NCP tie up for Maharashtra civic polls - Nov 23, 2011
- Chavan demands land for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: ajit pawar, ambedkar jayanti, april 14, architect, baroda, birth anniversary, brihanmumbai municipal corporation, celebrations, champion of the masses, chavan, deputy chief minister, desai, floral tributes, indian constitution, nashik, ngos, pimpri chinchwad, political parties, sena leader, state congress