‘Magic mushrooms’ ease cancer patients’ anxietySeptember 7th, 2010 - 12:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 07 (ANI): Scientists in the US have found that the active ingredient of magic mushrooms, psilocybin, can reduce anxiety and improve mood in people with cancer.
Charles Grob from Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, California, and colleagues, recruited 12 people with advanced-stage cancer who also suffered from anxiety.
The volunteers received one dose of psilocybin or the vitamin niacin, reports New Scientist.
Several weeks later they received the other treatment. The volunteers’ heart rate, blood pressure and temperature were monitored throughout each treatment. They were also assessed for levels of depression, anxiety and mood.
Volunteers reported feeling less depressed and anxious two weeks after receiving psilocybin but not two weeks after niacin alone. Six months later, the level of depression was significantly lower in all volunteers than it had been before the treatments began.
The report has been published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, DOI. (ANI)
- Mushroom drug fights cancer patients' anxiety - Sep 07, 2010
- Drug creates lasting personality change - Sep 29, 2011
- FDA approves first oral contraceptive that increases folate levels - Sep 27, 2010
- Treating Vit D deficiency could ease depression - Jun 27, 2012
- Poor brain connectivity behind many faces of depression - Feb 28, 2012
- Placebo can trick brain into taking it for real - Mar 27, 2012
- Low birth weight children 'programmed to eat more' - Mar 10, 2011
- How depression and anxiety influence physical symptoms - Mar 05, 2011
- Source of happiness may lie in your gut - Jun 13, 2012
- Tai chi 'cuts depression in elderly people' - Mar 17, 2011
- How testosterone fights blues - Apr 03, 2012
- Exercise helps cancer survivors keep ailment at bay - Aug 08, 2011
- Take Vitamin B to lower work stress - Nov 10, 2011
- Low vitamin D levels spell depression - Jan 06, 2012
- High level of testosterone may speed up prostate cancer - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: active ingredient, archives of general psychiatry, blood pressure, cancer patients, charles grob, colleagues, depression anxiety, doi, harbor ucla medical center, heart rate, magic mushrooms, new scientist, psilocybin, scientists, six months, stage cancer, torrance california, ucla medical center, vitamin niacin, volunteers