Lottery cash prize winners bring misery to partnersOctober 25th, 2010 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 25 (IANS) People who become millionaires overnight after hitting a lottery jackpot can bring misery to their partners, a study has found.
Cash prizes, such as the 113-million pound EuroMillions jackpot, can potentially bring misery for the winner’s partner, Daily Express reported Monday citing the study.
Instead of sharing the windfall, nearly one in five would use a big win as an excuse to leave, the study said.
Men are most likely to quit - 21 percent admit they would think about ending their relationship compared with 14 percent of women.
One in 20 said they wouldn’t even tell their partner of their windfall and 29 percent simply didn’t want to share it.
One in 10 wouldn’t even tell their family members, including own mother and father, and another one in five wouldn’t tell friends.
But if they won one million pound, the average Briton would give their parents about 62,000 pounds.
James Oakes, co-founder of prize game GeoSweep.com which carried out the study of 3,000 people, said: “I’m shocked that so many people would actually ditch their other half.”
- Briton wins $98 mn lottery share - Jun 09, 2012
- Briton scoops 148-mn-pound jackpot - Aug 11, 2012
- Brit couple beat 196 trillion to 1 odd after matching lotto numbers twice - Feb 09, 2011
- Ticketholder in Britain wins 41 mn pound jackpot - Jan 22, 2012
- Britain's record jackpot winner to walk away with $180 mn - Oct 09, 2010
- British couple wins $88 mn lottery - Feb 15, 2010
- Christmas Eve luckiest day for winning lottery - Dec 24, 2010
- Lottery millionaire Mr Topham bans his mother from his life - Mar 05, 2012
- 'Mega Millions' jackpot reaches record $500 million - Mar 29, 2012
- Beijing man hits $90 mn jackpot - Jun 13, 2012
- Couple wins $88mn lottery, daughter says 'whatever' - Feb 16, 2010
- Psychic Ocean Kinge Wins £1m on Lottery - Jan 06, 2011
- British couple wins $260 mn jackpot - Jul 16, 2011
- Belgian wins 15 mn euros in lottery - Sep 17, 2011
- British couple scoop million-pound lottery with forgotten ticket - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: big win, briton, cash prize, cash prizes, co founder, daily express, ditch, excuse, family members, james oakes, lottery cash, lottery jackpot, millionaires, misery, mother and father, one million, prize game, prize winners, relationship, windfall