Living near fast food joints ups stroke riskFebruary 20th, 2009 - 12:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 20 (ANI): People who live in neighbourhoods with numerous fast food outlets are more likely to have a stroke, a new study has found.
Large numbers of fast food restaurants in an area can push up the stroke risk by up to 13 per cent, according to the New Scientist study of one Texas city.
However, this doesn”t imply mean that their burgers, French fries and fried chicken cause stroke, says Lewis Morgenstern, an epidemiologist at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor who presented the study at the International Stroke Conference in San Diego, California.
Rather, fast food could be an indicator for other factors that lead to poor health, such as lack of exercise or poor air quality.
To reach the conclusion, the research team recorded all 1,247 strokes that occurred in Nueces County, Texas between 2000 and mid-2003.
His team split the city into 64 neighbourhoods with roughly the same population, based on census data.
From analysis, researchers found that people living in neighbourhoods with an average of 33 fast food restaurants suffered 13 percent more strokes than people who lived near just 12 fast food joints.
Each additional McDonalds, Burger King or Taco Bell upped the risk of stroke by about 1 percent. (ANI)
- Teens growing addicted to junk food - Jul 29, 2011
- McDonald's, Burger King now 'serving healthier foods' - Jul 15, 2010
- Snoop Dogg digs into junk food - Jul 19, 2011
- Prawn on toast, cheese burgers light up iftar in Pakistan - Aug 05, 2012
- McDonald's staff caught selling stale food - Mar 16, 2012
- Five Guys Burger Voted As The Best Fast Food Burger In US - Aug 18, 2010
- Now, a McDonald's burger named after Shane Warne! - Nov 10, 2010
- Good news for fast food addicts - Jul 15, 2010
- Beckham joins Burger King campaign - Apr 07, 2012
- Burger King introduces bacon sundae in the US - Jun 13, 2012
- Fast food culture making people impatient - Apr 19, 2010
- Free statins with fast food could neutralize heart risk - Aug 13, 2010
- Unhealthiest of fast foods revealed - Aug 10, 2010
- KFC eyes 500 restaurants in India by 2015 - Dec 18, 2011
- Taco Bell founder Glen Bell dies at 86 (Update) - Jan 19, 2010
Tags: burger king, cause stroke, census data, epidemiologist, fast food restaurants, food joints, food outlets, french fries, fried chicken, international stroke conference, lack of exercise, london feb, morgenstern, neighbourhoods, new scientist, nueces county texas, poor air quality, poor health, san diego california, stroke risk