Link between energy-saving light bulb and migraine dismissedJanuary 7th, 2008 - 3:41 pm ICT by admin
Wellington, Jan 7 (ANI): A Kiwi manufacturer has rejected claims that energy-efficient light bulbs trigger crippling migraines.
The Migraine Action Association in Britain claimed that the energy-saving bulbs might trigger migraines because they are miniature versions of fluorescent strip lights, which are known to cause the condition.
The bulbs are gaining popularity because they consume about a quarter of the power used by traditional light bulbs.
Christchurch Company Energy Mad reported selling four million energy-efficient light bulbs in New Zealand during the past three years.
And, Chris Mardon, Managing director of Energy Mad, said that the bulbs did not cause headaches because modern fluorescent tubes did not flicker as much as cheaper, older tubes.
“Modern fluorescent lights flicker on and off thousands of times a second and so the human eye cannot perceive it. Some of the cheap and nasty stuff may still cause problems, but all the brands converted years ago. A modern bulb is basically no different from a normal light bulb,” Stuff.co.nz quoted him, as saying.
Annette Hallam, New Zealand Migraine Sufferers’ Support Group director, said that she would examine the claims.
“I would like to look into it. If it can help one or two people, then that is fantastic, but I would like to know more about it,” she said. (ANI)
- Energy saving light bulbs may be cancer causing - Apr 21, 2011
- Delhi offers concession on LED bulbs - Jul 20, 2012
- LED bulbs to sell cheap in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Mercury makes eco-bulbs 'a health hazard for babies and pregnant' - Dec 23, 2010
- Energy-consuming light bulbs to go out in Hong Kong - Aug 15, 2011
- Lights out for the traditional bulb in Britain - Jan 06, 2009
- Scientists figure out why LED is impractical for general lighting purposes - Apr 20, 2011
- Energy saving light bulbs 'contains carcinogenic chemicals' - Apr 20, 2011
- Compact fluorescent energy saving lamp 'better than incandescent bulbs' - Oct 23, 2010
- Energy saving light bulbs can cause interference with TV sets - Apr 12, 2010
- China to phase out incandescent lamps - Nov 04, 2011
- Flourescent lamps hurt eyes - Oct 23, 2011
- Sujana to develop LED lighting products - May 27, 2010
- Last American Light Bulb: White House Bill Sends Jobs to China - Oct 02, 2010
- Study: Eco-bulbs are a health hazard for babies & pregnant women - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: energy efficient light bulbs, energy saving bulbs, energy saving light, fluorescent lights, headaches, human eye, jan 7, kiwi, light bulb, managing director, mardon, migraine action association, migraine sufferers, miniature versions, nasty stuff, new zealand, popularity, support group director, tubes, wellington