Like humans, animals too display distinct personalitiesApril 29th, 2011 - 3:27 pm ICT by ANI
The study led by Kathryn Arnold of the Environment Department at the University of York has added important experimental evidence showing that animal personalities are reflected in their oxidative stress profiles.
Arnold, along with graduate student Katherine Herborn, at the Institute of Biodiversity, Animal Health and Comparative Medicine, University of Glasgow, jointly worked to classify the personalities of 22 ‘greenfinches’.
They tested each bird’s reactions to a novel situation by adding a brightly coloured cookie-cutter to their food bowl, timing how long it took for the birds to pluck up courage to approach the food.
The researchers found that the boldest birds took only a few seconds to overcome their fear while more timid birds took up to 30 minutes to approach their meal.
They also discovered that the most curious birds (those that approached objects fastest) had better defense against oxidative damage than less curious ‘greenfinches’.
“Neophobic birds, those that are afraid of new things may suffer high costs of oxidative stress and die early because they paid these physiological costs, but they might also be less likely to be eaten by a predator because they are more wary than bolder birds,” Arnold said.
The research has been published in the Journal of Experimental Biology. (ANI)
- Birds too possess personality traits - Apr 29, 2011
- Traditional violence-prevention programs may not prevent teen fighting - Sep 18, 2010
- Scientists provide genetic evidence that antioxidants can help treat cancer - Feb 16, 2011
- David Archuleta Says He is Embracing His Inner Dork - Oct 06, 2010
- Oxidative stress may not be all that harmful - Dec 07, 2011
- Nitric oxide can ward off deadly infections - Jul 24, 2011
- What makes for more healthy eggs? - Aug 04, 2011
- Mother duck lays eggs at 'Chick-fil-A' drive-thru - Apr 08, 2011
- Trade and investment offers important route to sustainable global economic recovery: Ansari - Oct 05, 2010
- Animals in confined shelters harm human health - Jan 11, 2012
- 15st man 'mugged by fox' for garlic bread - Mar 08, 2012
- Hic! Tipsy parrots nursing hangover - Nov 04, 2011
- African grey parrot: Cleverest bird on planet? - Jun 22, 2011
- Victimized baby birds grow into abusers themselves - Oct 04, 2011
- Chernobyl birds 'have 5 percent smaller brains' - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,